No announcement yet.

My S2000 Weekend/Track day warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick to the quality stuff and you cannot go wrong! I'll have my greedy sandwich plate for sale soon if interested then! Will be moving to the local plate that has 2x -10an fittings for the oil cooler!
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Comment

Will keep that in mind, thanks Alex!
      1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

also the greddy products are tapped to work with defi sensors being 1/8PT

So if you plan on using JDM gauges, try to use JDM hardware.

That's one of the issues I've come into when looking to run a quality sandwich palte for oil coolers. Mocal being UK...
        Integra Type R
        Integra Type S
        S2000

Comment

I'm also running a greddy sandwich plate and have done so since before my first track day and not one issue to date. I think most issues come from incorrect installation regarding these type of things

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
            also the greddy products are tapped to work with defi sensors being 1/8PT

So if you plan on using JDM gauges, try to use JDM hardware.

That's one of the issues I've come into when looking to run a quality sandwich palte for oil coolers. Mocal being UK...
            Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
            I'm also running a greddy sandwich plate and have done so since before my first track day and not one issue to date. I think most issues come from incorrect installation regarding these type of things
            Thanks guys, gauges are on the Christmas wishlist of modifications.

Comment

Phillip Island track day #2 – PIARC Sprints

The car coming into this day had a few changes from the last Phillip Island track day early this year in Feb with the Nitto NT01 tyres and the Recaro RS-G.

My default PB here is a 1:56.9179 set early this year on the Nitto NT05 street tyres.

First impressions of the car at Phillip Island.
              The Recaro seat did a great job of holding me down in one spot which gave me much better control of the car and feel of how the car is handling.

The NT01's were just amazing here, in the sweepers it stuck like glue with the wing working to keep the rear end planted. The car was neutral, slightly biased towards understeer in the high speed corners, and in the slower corners the car wanted to rotate, maybe a little too much but it makes it fun. Throughout the whole day I left the tyre pressures and dampers as is at 34PSI hot and 12/12 clicks front and 8/12 clicks rear.

About half way through the track day I able to attain a new PB of 1:51.8378!! Over 5 seconds faster than my previous PB of 1:56.9179. Although the car still has more in it, I am satisfied for now.

Looking at the video the PB lap was far from perfect. A few sketchy moments which costed some time.

Racechrono shows an optimal laptime of 1:49.83. 1:50 is well within reach but I wasn’t able to find that lap.

Racechrono app shows that speed on most corners have increased tremendously compared to the first track day at PI.

Oil catch can issues.....

One issue did arise as the day progressed, the Oil catch can was getting almost full after 3 sessions of tracking which approximately consists of 6 hot laps. A lot of oil was going into the catch can at an alarming rate, so I may need to alternate the setup of the oil catch can and do a check up on the motor. This only seems to be a problem at PI due to its high speed right handers such as turn one as other tracks my catch can does not even get close to filling up like this. On the bright side the car isn’t puffing out big clouds of smoke from the exhaust like the previous PI day. An alternative suggested by Rob Robinette's S2000 website is to cap off the PCV and Intake manifold and connect the breather hose to catch can, this isn't legal but can be easily changed on the track day. Further research is needed to see what I do with this.

Lap Times For the day.
              2:09.4333 1:52.2730 2:02.3777
              2:20.9638 1:55.0063 1:58.8691
              1:53.5749 2:14.0713 **1:51.8378**
              2:03.8697 1:52.3566 2:06.1860
              1:51.8423 1:57.3553 1:58.8121
              2:30.4986 1:57.3828 1:52.6197
              2:15.5187 2:05.9365 1:53.3863

The squad.

On track with Ben's S2000. My front bumper looks really bad in this high res photo, haha.

Bonus Classic Porsche photo just cause I'm a fanboy.

Overview of 2015.
              Ever since I started this blog last year I had a few long term goals for the car. I’m happy to say 2015 was the year where all my goals were met and I’m ecstatic with the cars progress. I will be taking a break from track days for a few months. Really looking forward to having some more track day fun in 2016!
              Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 27-12-15, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Nice work Peter! You've been killing it since making the switch the the new tyres! Definitely putting down some very impressive times with such a basic set up

Comment

Awesome work Peter! Phillip island looks so bloody fun and scary at the same time haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Love the track day posts man!

I think if you cap off the pcv and use catch can for the breather port you will still collect oil.. If not more cos the breather tube is like double the pcv tube?

Secondly as well you don't have a filter on the catch can like todds setup! Why not buy another cusco and have a dual setup. Or get the saikoumichi setup with easy to drain valves!
                    Integra Type R
                    Integra Type S
                    S2000

Comment

post the inside line dive in on ben clip in here haha
                      really was a good passing maneuver :P

Comment

Nice work Peter! You've been killing it since making the switch the the new tyres! Definitely putting down some very impressive times with such a basic set up
                        Thanks Todd!

Originally posted by chaumeh
                        Great post Pete. Good work on the new PB.

Phillip Island looks like such a high speed track. Mallala in SA on your list for 2016?
                        Thanks Tom! Phillip Island I believe is the fastest track in Australia and it is definitely pants shitting spec speed. Highly unlikely that I would go to Mallala, unless I had a group to go up with I would definitely consider.

Originally posted by dustinyo View Post
                        Awesome work Peter! Phillip island looks so bloody fun and scary at the same time haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Thanks Dustin yo! At first it's more scary than fun, but as you go out there more and get comfortable with the track it becomes really fun and exhilarating. I'd say PI is my favourite track.

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                        Love the track day posts man!

I think if you cap off the pcv and use catch can for the breather port you will still collect oil.. If not more cos the breather tube is like double the pcv tube?

Secondly as well you don't have a filter on the catch can like todds setup! Why not buy another cusco and have a dual setup. Or get the saikoumichi setup with easy to drain valves!
                        Glad you're liking the updates Alex! Hmm you do have a point regarding capping off the PCV, I'll analyse what to do this weekend with the catch can. Thanks a lot for the catch can suggestions!

post the inside line dive in on ben clip in here haha
                        really was a good passing maneuver :P
                        Hahaha, honestly didn't know what was going through my head at the time. I might post that up when I get home. I apologized to Ben after that and he was chill about it haha.

Funny enough that passing maneuver I hit the highest speed of the day of 221KPH on the speedometer with Racechono showing -0.3 just from that corner. Where as top speed on the PB lap was 217. I believe it was a combination of stupidity, fearlessness and drafting Ben's S2000.

Comment

Well done No. 1 Nguyen, that's a very impressive time at a very scary/challenging track. See you out there next year when we both get back from our hiatuses.

Comment

Hha I wasn't being sarcastic or anything. I watched the video from your car as well and it really was a good pass :P
                            Maybe not the best for a time attack style event but in a race setting it was an excellent menouver. I did notice how you were constantly catching/pulling away from Ben down the straight despite the fact he has header/ecu/tune.
                            I'm putting it down to faster exit speed onto the straight due to the semis. Would this be correct?

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                              Well done No. 1 Nguyen, that's a very impressive time at a very scary/challenging track. See you out there next year when we both get back from our hiatuses.
                              Thanks Tom! Looking forward to it!

Hha I wasn't being sarcastic or anything. I watched the video from your car as well and it really was a good pass :P
                              Maybe not the best for a time attack style event but in a race setting it was an excellent menouver. I did notice how you were constantly catching/pulling away from Ben down the straight despite the fact he has header/ecu/tune.
                              I'm putting it down to faster exit speed onto the straight due to the semis. Would this be correct?
                              Haha excuse the Senna2000 title on the video, it is just a joke. :P

Yep you're on the money, semi's played a major role in straight line speed due to faster exit speed out of the final corner. It also helps a little that I was directly behind his car for a while, possibly decreasing drag, hence making my car slightly quicker.

221kph top speed in this video and 217kph on the PB lap video. 4kph may not sound like a lot but most the laps I was consistently entering turn 1 at 215-218. It helps heaps to have videos for future reference, for analysis for self improvement and of course to have fun watching me doing stupid risky stuff on track.

On my wishlist to do next year would be to try SMSP also, so possibly I'll track with some of you Sydney guys sometime next year.

Also forgot to mention, Ben's 4.44's doesn't seem to suit PI that well. I am convinced the stock 4.1 final drive is pretty good for PI.

Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 18-11-15, 10:52 PM.

Comment

How are the brake duct kit Peter? This is a mod that I am planning down the track!

After seeing your post I also ordered that air pump delete kit form the Netherlands. I actually ordered three to get better pricing. Thus I have a third kit if you are interested?

Any more pictures of the brake duct kit install?
                                Integra Type R
                                Integra Type S
                                S2000

Comment

Working...
                                X