No announcement yet.

My S2000 Weekend/Track day warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done Pete! Everybody's getting really fast while I've been working on rusty 80s cars.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
      Well done Pete! Everybody's getting really fast while I've been working on rusty 80s cars.
      Thank you Tom! I am sure your hard work on the CR-X will pay off. I really look forward to seeing it out on the track!
      1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

05/09/2015 - New rotors and general service.

Today was spent servicing the car for the upcoming EXE track day. Car is currently on 130,500km.

Diff was replaced with Red Line 75W90 GL-5 Differential Gear Oil.

I almost purchased the 75w90NS which is different from the 75w90. The NS lacks the friction modifiers which can make the diff lock up more easily at lower speeds. Thanks Mugsee from Autosphere for pointing this out again!

OEM gear fluid for the gearbox.
        I figured if I already like the feel of the gearbox as is, better not risk changing to another type.

ATE type 200 for the brake fluid.
        I had the ATE super blue in my car previously so using the ATE type 200 to bleed out the brake fluid was much easier as it is yellow/clear opposed to blue. Basically bleed the caliper until the clear/yellow shows and you know you've got clean new fluid in there. Thanks for Autosphere for supplying these!

New RDA blank rotors for the front
        So for future reference if I ever need to replace the front brake rotors again, the front rotor size for the S2000 is 300x25mm!!! Despite what many Ebay selers say, the 282x25mm is the WRONG SIZE for the fronts.

Just another photo of the OEM brake rotors to illustrate how absolutely fried they are. In addition to that huge crack there were mini surface cracks all over and looking at the discolouration of the rotor they have been through way too many heat cycles.

HC800+ for fronts replaced.
        The current set were running surprisingly low and had to be replaced. There was low chance that the current set would have taken a full track day on the semi's, didn't want to take my chances and replaced them anyways. According to this blog, these pads were replaced on 23/03/15 @126,000km. The car is currently on 130,500km. These pads have only been through 3.5 track days and less than 5000km of street driving, taking into account that
        last track day only 2 sessions were done.. But I also need to take in consideration that the Semi slicks allow the car to brake harder and carry more speed into corners which strains the brakes more so.

The brakes seems to be wearing out at an alarming rate, so this needs to be rectified.

Options.
        1. Do more cool down laps. Sad but true, Winton is notoriously bad on brakes and I need to chill out with consecutive hot laps, haha.
        2. Brake ducting to cool down the brakes. Not sure if this actually helps the life of the pads, but I'd imagine it would? Cooling the rotor would also in turn decrease brake pad temperatures perhaps?
        3. Big Brake Kit!!!

Option 3 although would definitely improve the braking situation, it has many pro's but also some cons.

Advantages.
        1. Better heat dissipation of rotor, rotors and pads would last much longer. Apparently the pads can last up to 10 track days and the rotors for 30+!?...?
        2. No brake fade, more consistent brake pedal feel. Able to push the brakes to the limit consistently, so more consistent and consecutive hot laps.
        3. Looks cool I suppose.
        4. Lighter than OEM brake setup, decreasing unsrpung weight is a win. Saves about 1.3kg (AP Racing kit) per axle despite being a larger setup.
        5. Can be some what cost effective in the long term as consumables last more than twice as long.

Disadvantages
        1. Initial outlay of the BBK is dear.
        2. New wheels required. My RPF1 17x9+45mm will not fit the BBK setup. It requires a 25mm spacer to do so. Although the 17x9+40 CE28n does.

The pro's outweigh the con's, so this is definitely in consideration.

With the car all prepped up, it is ready for the exciting EXE track day weekend!
        Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 11-11-15, 06:20 PM.

Comment

What about front and rear brake bias?
          ClubITR | Like

Comment

great build!
            i love that PI video
            looks heaps fun

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
              What about front and rear brake bias?
              Good question Felix, I'm not 100% sure about this. I'd imagine it'd be more front bias after BBK is installed, but judging by my research there was not much mention of brake bias issues for S2000's in regards to the BBK setup.

BBK is only a consideration for now anyways.

Originally posted by sugz View Post
              great build!
              i love that PI video
              looks heaps fun
              Thanks mate! PI is an awesome fun track and can't wait to get back out there with the new tyres.

Comment

Peter, what are your thoughts on the brake bias/balance on the S2000? Say in comparison to the EP3?

When I had the DC5, I found myself going through 2.5, almost 3 sets of front pads before I seen myself replacing the rear pads.

With the S2000, not sure so far, as all I did was install Ferodo DS2500 up front, and ran whatever was in the rear which are either OEM or bendix, I know they had 50% left, but after one day, they were toast...
                Integra Type R
                Integra Type S
                S2000

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                  Peter, what are your thoughts on the brake bias/balance on the S2000? Say in comparison to the EP3?

When I had the DC5, I found myself going through 2.5, almost 3 sets of front pads before I seen myself replacing the rear pads.

With the S2000, not sure so far, as all I did was install Ferodo DS2500 up front, and ran whatever was in the rear which are either OEM or bendix, I know they had 50% left, but after one day, they were toast...
                  Hmm. To be honest it's very hard to compare considering I barely tracked the EP3 compared to my S2000. But yeah regarding your brake pad consumption on the DC5, going through 2.5-3 sets of front brake pads which is similar to my S2000.

I also chewed through my rear OEM pads when I first got my S2000. They were meaty but I roasted them to bare metal within my first track day and had to retire a bit early because of it. I would suggest you get some decent rear brake pads and then you would see similar pad consumption to your DC5. I currently run HC+ on the rears and judging by my blog they're bound to last 3 front brake pads replacements at the very least which I'm happy with.

Comment

yeah seems about right. general consensus is 3-4 fronts to one rear if using the same pad.
                    im still on my first set of both after 4 track days this year. SMSP isnt hard on brakes though

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post

Your rear pads will also be slowing down the drivetrain Alex. Something definitely to note there, along with compression braking. So front/rear brake pad wear for rwd and fwd may be different.
                      Wakefield: EG B18CR - R888 - 1.09.9
                      Eastern Creek: DC5R - RE001/ER300 - 2.00.8
                      Winton: DC5R - RE001 - 1.45.9

Comment

hey Kevin!

COuld you elaborate more on your post, in more layman's terms haha
                        Integra Type R
                        Integra Type S
                        S2000

Comment

For example Alex, you'll always have front brakes having a greater stopping force than rear under braking. The proportion of front/rear brake wear will depend on brake bias, but to an extent also whether it's fwd or rwd. Because you aren't clutched in, the pads on the drive wheels are also working to slow the momentum from engine rotation.

Comment

I see. So what you are saying is that on a rwd you would find rear pad wear he faster as opposed to a fwd car
                            Integra Type R
                            Integra Type S
                            S2000

Comment

Interesting stuff Kevin, makes sense. It looks to be a negligible difference as Alex's brake pad consumption on his DC5 is similar to my S2000. I've never personally tracked a FWD long enough to know how long the rear pads would last.

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
                                Interesting stuff Kevin, makes sense. It looks to be a negligible difference as Alex's brake pad consumption on his DC5 is similar to my S2000. I've never personally tracked a FWD long enough to know how long the rear pads would last.
                                Rear pads last forever on fwd pete!

Alex, fronts will still wear quicker on rwd. The proportion is different that's all
                                Last edited by munkaii; 09-09-15, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X