No announcement yet.

My S2000 Weekend/Track day warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nicee, time to watch the times tumble down, in for 1:35 at winton!
    IG: tonytr

Comment

1:36-1:37 is my guess

Comment

Circuit Club Winton Raceway Track day - 01/08/15

The weather was forecasted with 90% with 10mm-20mm worth of rain. I was hoping that the forecast would be somehow wrong but my hopes were crushed when we arrived to the track.

Perhaps the scariest and craziest Winton track day I've ever been to.

It rained non-stop from 6am - 2pm, haha. The chance of PB was non existent and the NT01 semi slicks that I've been longing to use were put on hold.

So I went out with the CE28N NT05 street tyres (once again -_-) and it was horrid, these tyres are quite worn which did not help at all. With the extreme conditions, the track was ridiculously slippery with huge puddles at apex's. The car was extremely twitchy, strong understeer upon turn in, snappy oversteer when power was put down with severe aquaplaning on the straights to boot.

I only did 3 sessions and I retired early for the day as I deemed it too dangerous to continue on as getting home safely was the number one priority and I'm really glad I did as I've never seen so many recovery vehicles sent out and spin outs in one track day ever.

Natsoft timing was not working for the day for some reason but my laptimes would most likely be around the 1:55-2:00 min mark haha.

Some more photo's from the rainy Circuit Cub Winton track day. Courtesy of Jlim.

Despite the terrible weather, looking on the bright side we made it out unscathed and I'll be looking to head out again soon with hopes of putting the semi slicks to good use.

Big thanks to Dnapol for bringing up the RPF1/NT01 wheel/tyre setup up for me even though I didn't use it, haha.

Originally posted by iamtonee View Post
        nicee, time to watch the times tumble down, in for 1:35 at winton!
        Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
        1:36-1:37 is my guess
        LOL, only a good 15+ seconds off my target time XD
        Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 20-11-15, 07:28 AM.
        1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

the 1700mm wing looks pretty animal compared to my 1600mm :/
          IG: tonytr

Comment

Originally posted by iamtonee View Post
            the 1700mm wing looks pretty animal compared to my 1600mm :/
            You can buy it off me one day, haha.

09/08/15 Nugget Nationals - Motorkhana day at Foresite Training facility.

This was the first motorkhana day I've been to in the S2000, with the sole intention of having fun. Laptimes was not a concern today, so I used the motorkhana day to learn how to react when a slide is happening and to hold the slide if possible, it was really fun trying to do so. Was a great day out and a great learning experience. There were about 8 courses with two attempts on each course.

Photo's from the day. Courtesy of Yingbot.

Motorkhana run on course 5 'space invader'. Hilarious run of trying to slide the car into the finish box, but missed completely! One of the many fun moments of the day.
            Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 31-08-15, 10:37 PM.

Comment

That looked fun! I miss manual..
              ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                That looked fun! I miss manual..
                It was super fun! Time for you to get a manual NSX then, haha.

Some more awesome photo's from the motorkhana day, courtesy of Brett Swain and Grant Salter from http://gripshiftslide.com/.

My new favourite photo of the car.

Comment

pics look good Pete!

whats the deal with the tape on the rear?
                  Integra Type R
                  Integra Type S
                  S2000

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                    pics look good Pete!

whats the deal with the tape on the rear?
                    Thanks Alex!

The rear bumper screw fell off and I had to cable tie it. But during the motorkhana day the cable ties snapped off, so I had to duct tape the rear bar haha. I will have use a screw and nut to hold the bumper in place.

Comment

31/08/2015 – Winton Tampered Motorsport – First track day on Nitto NT01 (semi slicks).

Most current Setup of the car:

- *NEW* 4 x 17x9+45mm RPF1 with 255/40/17 Nitto NT01, 100 Tread wear (29 PSI cold, front and rear)
                      - Tein Monoflex coilovers 10kg front 8kg rear (16/16 clicks front) (12/16 clicks rear).
                      - K&n short ram intake.
                      - Voltex 1700mm type 2 wing with *new 275mm wing stands* old was 245mm
                      - Whiteline 32mm FSB.
                      - Spoon N1 Catback exhaust with Spoon test pipe

Brakes
                      - stock OEM brake rotors
                      - *NEW set Project MU HC+ 800 brake pads front and rear. (replaced at 126k km) (previous set was replaced 120k km)*
                      - Cusco master cylinder brake stopper.
                      - HEL braided brake lines

The car’s setup coming into this day remained the same, besides the new NT01 semi slick tyres. The difference in grip levels was immense. Being able to brake much later and power out early, it was awesome. The times kept dropping after every hot lap that was done, and not only that the tyres remained consistent despite how many consecutive laps they went through.

Speed in all corners were increased which netted me a new PB of 1:38.1 (over 3 seconds faster than street tyre PB) on the last hot lap of the day! This was achieved in the second session of the day which would also be my last session for the day. Unfortunately coming out for the 3rd session I found out my brake rotors had cracked which had ended my day prematurely. It was such a shame as I was just starting to get accustomed to the new tyres.

A bit hard to see on photo but the rotor has a severe crack. The grip levels of the NT01 truly roasted the life out of these rotors. And not to mention the track days they've been through, I'm actually pretty surprised they lasted this long, haha.

Lap times for the day.
                      Session 1 - 1:58.8698 1:43.9440 1:39.8546 1:39.7002 1:40.6332 1:58.0317

Session 2 - 1:44.9375 1:46.4763 1:38.7324 1:38.3321 1:38.1541

Overall pleased with the results in this short track day, although the car still has so much more in it! Right now it has ridiculous potential. Next on the agenda is to replace the front cracked OEM rotors and go out for another day ASAP!

Unfortunately the PB lap was not recorded. Really bad video quality as GOPRO settings was off. I do have the fastest lap of the first session (1:39.7) which could have been much faster if it wasn't for the end.
                      Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 31-08-15, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Well done Peter. So fast.

How did the rear feel with the new tyres?
                        ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                          Well done Peter. So fast.

How did the rear feel with the new tyres?
                          Thanks FelixR.

The rear felt super stable I can plant the power down at places where I usually wouldn't. But I can still agitate the rear end to over steer slightly which can help with tracing a better line for corner exit which is what I wanted.

In comparison to the roasted street tyres, which had crazy amounts of over steer but this made it an enjoyable driving experience but also helped develop my driving greatly. It was really a night and day difference. Overall I'm amazed with how the car is handling right now just by replacing the tyres! There is still much much more time to shave off.
                          Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 31-08-15, 06:08 PM.

Comment

That's a nasty crack haha, were the rotors still above minimum thickness? I'd assume they have been cut/machined once, either that or they were just really worn. Great driving though, the car looks like it handles well and has really good balance.

Comment

Well done peter, looking forward to exe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dfdc2r View Post
                                That's a nasty crack haha, were the rotors still above minimum thickness? I'd assume they have been cut/machined once, either that or they were just really worn. Great driving though, the car looks like it handles well and has really good balance.
                                Thanks mate. Haha yeah the crack is HUGE. The brakes have been machined only once since I've had the car. Last time i measured earlier this year the rotors were well above minimum thickness, but the car has been through a few track days since. Although disappointing that the rotors cracked after only two sessions, but I am grateful that the OEM rotors of 16 years managed to survive this long. Haha!

Originally posted by Bluscreama View Post
                                Well done peter, looking forward to exe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Thanks Charbz! Same here man, really looking forward to it. We need to see an update on your end. You're doing crazy good.

Comment

Working...
                                X