Looks great on the track.
    ClubITR | Like

Comment

Nice Pete!

D for Dangerous.
      Shak's S2000

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
        Ironically the lip mostly gets its damage from street driving, the only track that has abused the front lip was Wakefield, at certain corners the front lip would drag along the ground haha! But Winton/Philip Island it has no clearance issues at all.
        Sounds like you need stiffer coilovers

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
          Great shots there!

Looks great on the track.
          Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
          Nice Pete!

D for Dangerous.
          Thanks dudes.

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
          Sounds like you need stiffer coilovers
          I've thought about it, but I think the car is setup pretty decently. I will re-evaluate the cars setup after seeing how the car does with the R compound tyres.

Don't mind the current bumper getting a little damage, I guess it'll motivate me to stop procrastinating and throw on my new bumper. Haha.
          1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Love your car Peter. So beautiful and functional.

Sold the CE28N yet or keeping them?
            Integra Type R
            Integra Type S
            S2000

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
              Love your car Peter. So beautiful and functional.

Sold the CE28N yet or keeping them?
              Thanks Alex!

I decided to stick to my original plan of keeping the CE28N for street use and RPF1 for track use only. I was planning on selling both sets to fund a new 18' setup with 265/35 or wider street tyres, but I ended up finding the semi slicks for the RPF1's that I've always wanted at the right price so the 18' setup will have to be postponed for another few years or so.

Comment

Parts Update - J's Racing rear toe control arms and Cusco Oil catch can.

1. J's Racing rear toe control arms - I was a bit skeptical about buying these but after much research on the rear suspension I found out that the AP1 has some serious bumpsteer issues. Kind of made sense as I have always had oversteer issues at Winton, particularly in the low speed bumpy corners at Winton. At Phillip Island the issue was not as apparent, I believe due to the smoothness of the track.

My understanding of bumpsteer is the unwanted toe angle change upon the suspension going through its travel that can cause nervous handling. According to S2KI as the rear suspension is compressing, the AP1 tends to toe out drastically and this effect is further amplified when coilovers are installed which stuffs up the geometry.

This can be fixed by installing a set of aftermarket rear toe arms which corrects the angle and length of the toe arm which aids in fixing the geometry and in turn fixes the bumpsteer issue. Which should make the car more predictable to drive, lose less speed in the corners and therefore make the car faster at the track overall I hope....

These toe arms also allow the rear suspension to gain more negative camber if needed. So after these are installed it will be a good time to play around with the alignment as right now the rear camber is maxed out at about -2.4.

These J's racing toe arms seem to be of pretty awesome quality with pillow ball joints instead of rubber, and comes with adjustable shims to adjust the arm angle depending on how much the car has been lowered to attain the desired toe arm angle.

2. Cusco oil catch can - After the Philip Island track day my car was puffing out smoke which was a bit scary. After some research the s2000 is known to puff smoke at high speed right hand corners and a remedy for this is to just simply purchase an oil catch can.

My basic understanding on how the Oil catch can fixes this issue is instead of the intake manifold catching all the blow by oil caused by the PCV, the PCV is connected to the oil catch can instead which solves this problem.

Hoses aren't connected to the motor yet as I need to purchase another hose to complete installation.

Comment

https://robrobinette.com/S2000CatchCan.htm

All you need to know about catch cans

Comment

I also feel that part of the reason why S2000 come under the blow by smoke is the oil falls right out of either the pcv ir breather hoses as the hoses go straight back into the intake ports on high soeed right hand corners... To possibly try to limit this... Mount the catch can on drivers side behind headlight. Todd has mounted it in a nice position.

Do u also plan on running open or closed loop? What about the breather pipe?
                    Integra Type R
                    Integra Type S
                    S2000

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
                      https://robrobinette.com/S2000CatchCan.htm

All you need to know about catch cans
                      Thanks.

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                      I also feel that part of the reason why S2000 come under the blow by smoke is the oil falls right out of either the pcv ir breather hoses as the hoses go straight back into the intake ports on high soeed right hand corners... To possibly try to limit this... Mount the catch can on drivers side behind headlight. Todd has mounted it in a nice position.

Do u also plan on running open or closed loop? What about the breather pipe?
                      I plan on running the breather pipe and PCV pipe to the catch can and block off the Intake breather pipe hole and Intake manifold hole. In doing so I would have thought this would avoid blow by oil from entering in the intake system all together? So the mounting position of the oil catch can is irrelevant. Feel free to correct me as I'm still learning.

*Edit* I am also unwilling to mount the catch can any other way as the Cusco kit comes with a nifty bracket to mount at its current position. Haha.

Comment

Yes it avoids any air mixed with oil getting back into the intake completely.

Even though you aren't rerouting the air from the catch can back into the two intake ports, personally I wouldnt want to check the catch can in between sessions. I dont know hte truth to this, but I would imagine that if the hoses were routed in the opposite direction IE towards driver's side, this would discourage any surplus amount of oil leaving the top of the valve cover and out of the two ports on them high speed right hand corners.. I guess since you have a bracket from Cusco already designed to mount the can behind the overflow bottle just leave it there.

There is also quite some discussion where keeping the PCV intact and not capping it off also provides benefits to prolonging engine life. With the PCV in use, it relieves crankcase pressure and by you running the open loop setup . Me personally would prefer to keep it how honda designed it so I'll be running a closed loop setup:

breather port to catch can to intake hose
                        PCV to catch can to intake manifold

Having said that, Todd runs the same setup proposed by you, as well as that Rob guy on the link above provided by Todd. Both their cars see track time so no issues at all!
                        Integra Type R
                        Integra Type S
                        S2000

Comment

Nice purchases!

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
                          I plan on running the breather pipe and PCV pipe to the catch can and block off the Intake breather pipe hole and Intake manifold hole. In doing so I would have thought this would avoid blow by oil from entering in the intake system all together? So the mounting position of the oil catch can is irrelevant. Feel free to correct me as I'm still learning.

*Edit* I am also unwilling to mount the catch can any other way as the Cusco kit comes with a nifty bracket to mount at its current position. Haha.
                          Don't run it that way because it won't function as it will be a sealed system with no chance to vent. The PCV system is designed to push crankcase vapours out the PCV valve, to be burnt in the intake, and if necessary suck fresh air in through the valve cover vent from the intake pipe. So you need a source of fresh air somewhere in the system and somewhere to vent the crankcase vapours. Personally I would just fit the catch can in the standard PCV circuit, so engine block >> PCV valve >> catch can >> intake manifold. Fit a new PCV valve while you're there. This orientation has the added benefit of being completely legal.

EDIT: Similar to the way this guy is planning to do it ^^
                          Last edited by ChargeR; 14-07-15, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys for the suggestions! I will work on it this weekend.

Comment

That's how Iv set mine peter but it's vented, can always get Steve to tap in and screw a mini breather on there?
                              Iv also knocked the inside guts of the pcv valve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Track preparation.

One of the first things I had to get sorted was the oil catch can. With many suggestions from the CITR guys (thanks guys once again) and further research I decided to go with this setup.

PCV --> Oil catch can --> Intake manifold.
                                With the breather hose still connected to the intake.

This seems to be the most common catch can setup, and should fix the blow by smoke issue I have at certain corners.

Nitto NT01 mounted on the Enkei RPF1.

Today I spent some time changing fluids (129k KM service) and test fitting the new semi slick setup on the car to see if there were any clearance issues as semi slicks are known to run slightly wider/taller than street tyres. After a short drive im pleased to say there are no clearance issues. The difference in size is not apparent in pictures but in person I'd say the side wall difference is visible.

Initial impression of the test drive.
                                Although it was just a small drive, the difference is quite vast. The side walls feels stiffer so there is a lot of feedback from the tyres. Road noise is more apparent though, however comfort is no concern as this will only be driven on the track. Will report back on the next track day regarding its grip levels.

On the left is the NT01 semi slick and on the right is the NT05 street tyre. The NT01 'looks' slightly wider/taller despite being the same specification as the NT05. 255/40/17

Heaps of clearance. The 5mm difference between the RPF1 17x9+45mm and the CE28N 17x9+40 doesn't sound like much, but in person is quite a difference.

With all this done, the car is ready for another track day!

Comment

Working...
                                X