• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flyby on the track.

1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Sounds nice!
      Honed - WEB: https://honeddevelopments.com/ FB: https://www.facebook.com/honeddevelopments

Comment

That glorious sound (L)

Comment

Sounds awesome Peter
          ClubITR | Like

Comment

I thought the spoon n1 may sound slightly different on the f20c compared to dc5. Sounds the same. And thats a good thing. Cant wait to install mine too!
            Integra Type R
            Integra Type S
            S2000

Comment

Pete, how is your Wing mounted. have you noticed any flex with th downforce working. bootlid still aligned right?/
              Integra Type R
              Integra Type S
              S2000

Comment

Thanks guys!

Wing is mounted normally to the edge of the boot, with 2 bolts and nuts holding each base plate with no extra reinforcement. The boot shows no signs of flex or anything.

I do remember seeing BYP and their S2000 having issues with the boot with their APR GT250 wing, which probably creates more downforce than the Voltex Type 2 wing and also on top of that BYP's S2000 is much faster than I am so that would create even more down force, haha.

Comment

Insurance/Reliabilty modifications done 18/03/15.

A few reliability modifications has been done to the car for some insurance.

1. 8 x AP2 intake valve retainers replaced - The AP1 intake valve retainers were known to crack during high RPM operation and from induced over revs which can cause a valve to drop and pretty much destroy the whole engine. The AP2 retainers are stronger rectified this problem. The AP1 exhaust side are not known to crack so replacement was not needed.

Parts required for this are:
                  8 F22C valve retainers, part number 14765-PRB-A01
                  16 F22C retainer keepers ("cotters"), part number 14781-PCX-004
                  SEAL AND GASKET KIT Honda 12040PCX305 as opening the valve cover it's recommended to replace the valve cover gasket to prevent oil leaks.

2. Tegiwa oil baffle plate welded into the OEM oil pan.
                  - As I plan on moving to R compound grip, this was definitely a needed modification. Semi slicks generate much more grip and can cause the oil in the pan to slush over to one side causing starvation to the oil pick up point. As soon as the oil pick up point has been starved of oil, it can cause some serious damage to the engine. Apparently these days even street tyres can create enough g's to cause starvation to the pickup point.

Parts required:

Any brand Oil baffle plate.
                  Honda bond or some sort of sealant.

3. 4 x AP2 oil jet banjo bolts AKA oil sprayers. - The AP1 banjo bolts didn't flow enough oil for the block which can cause some lubrication problems to the block and cause scoring on the cylinder walls. These are bolts are located in the block. Cheap modification, I figured if I was going to install the baffle plate, might as well do this as the sump is off. Basically the AP1 bolts have 2 holes and the AP2 bolts have 4 holes which allow much more oil flow through the block.

Parts required:
                  4 x oil bolts 15290-PCX-000

Not a very interesting set of parts to me so no pictures were taken. With all this done, my car is officially ready for some R compound grip!

VOLTEX 275mm wing stands.
                  For mostly aesthetic purposes. I doubt I'd feel an increase in down force, though theoretically it should as it's sitting higher and is should be level with the roof line which should get cleaner air, opposed to the 245mm that I have which was sitting lower than the roof line. I highly doubt I'd feel anything but hopefully it translates in reducing lap times some how.

The right pair are the 275mm and the left are the 245mm. Though it doesn't seem like a big difference in this photo, once installed the wing will be a fair bit taller.

Comment

Nice. I've also arranged for AP2 retainers/cotters to be installed on the intake side. When I eventually get a baffled sump then i'll do the AP2 banjo bolts too! pics with car to show new wing height?
                    Integra Type R
                    Integra Type S
                    S2000

Comment

Awesome stuff Pete. Thanks for the part numbers, Alex and myself will need them very shortly

Pics of the higher wing too please!
                      Shak's S2000

Comment

21/03/2015 Winton Nugget nationals track day. Final track day on street tyres. (for real this time)

Not much has changed with the car besides new brake pads and 275mm wing stands.

Current Setup:
                        - 17x9+40 CE28N with non staggered 255/40 Nitto NT-05 on its 10th track day and 17,000km of street driving.
                        - Tein Monoflex coilovers 10kg front 8kg rear
                        - K&n short ram intake.
                        - Voltex 1700mm type 2 wing with *new 275mm wing stands* old was 245mm
                        - Whiteline 32mm FSB.
                        - Spoon N1 Catback exhaust with Spoon test pipe

Brakes
                        - stock OEM brake rotors
                        - *NEW set Project MU HC+ 800 brake pads front and rear. (replaced at 126k km) (previous set was replaced 120k km)*
                        - Cusco master cylinder brake stopper.
                        - HEL braided brake lines

According to this blog, the brake pads (front and rear) lasted me about 6000kms with 5 track days. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, haha. I have always wanted to get a brake ducting kit to see if it was able to prolong the life of the pads. The Wasp brake cooling kit seems to be the kit that many S2000 guys go for.

Wasn't planning on going back to the track for a while, but I thought why not? The car didn't need much preparation besides replacing the brake pads, the NT05's were worn but drivable.
                        This also gives me the last chance to learn as much as possible from using pretty worn street tyres.

I used the first session to gauge how the tyres were gripping, initial impression wasn't great as all the car wanted to do was slide when power was applied and upon turn in. From this point on I knew beating my PB and even getting close to my PB was unlikely.

Nevertheless I went into the second session giving it as much as I could before the day got hot. And I managed a 1.42.22 according to Natsoft timing. I didn't realise it but when I got home and watched the driving footage this was the lap.

From the looks of it this lap could potentially have been a pretty decent lap!! Ahhh oh well. I keep wondering if I didn't mess up the S bend what the lap time could have been . Hindsight can be a bastard.

Despite this I'm content with how the car did with street tyres over all so I wasn't that fussed. Every session after I was taking out passengers for fun. As the day got pretty hot later on the tyres were really getting tortured and it was very easy to slide the car around. I took this opportunity to learn how to control the car under a slide a lot better and it was a great learning experience.

*video of this in the next post*

What I've noticed from the videos I've gained a few KM's of speed at every end of the straight. The long straight before the S bend is where it's most noticeable. Previous video was about 163KPH and this video was 168KPH. I believe this is mostly due to the attack angle of the wing, as it's currently at it's least aggressive and flattest angle. So this provides less down force and less drag which contributed to the slightly higher top speed around the track as before I left it at the most aggressive setting for maximum down force which I now believe is unnecessary for stock F20C.

Here are some pictures for the day. More will pop up soon later.

Credits goes to HBTK photography for the photo's.
                        https://www.facebook.com/HBTKphoto?fref=photo

Overall awesome day, learnt a lot, many laughs were had and got home safely.

Big thanks to the EXE guys for organizing another great day.

With the street tyre chapter ending for this car, the next step will be semi slicks which should allow lap times to tumble considerably, but it'll be all down to the driving, I'll see if I can reach my goals. If I keep at it I think I'll get there one day.

Exciting times are ahead.
                        Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 23-03-15, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Had to double post as one post can only contain one video.

A lot of oversteer, but a lot of FUN!

Also shat myself slightly then laughed it off at 3:30 mark.
                          Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 23-03-15, 07:57 PM.

Comment

HUGE Credits goes to HBTK photography for the photo's!!
                            https://www.facebook.com/HBTKphoto?fref=photo

Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 31-03-15, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Great shots of a great car
                              ClubITR | Like

Comment

Amazing.
                                Shak's S2000

Comment

Working...
                                X