Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
      Congrats on the 1:33 Pete!!

Nice to see you back in action after a while
      Originally posted by chaumeh View Post
      Grats on the PB mate! it was very satisfying to read
      Originally posted by s1 s2 View Post
      Congrats!
      Originally posted by stienerv2 View Post
      Congrats Pete! Good work at beating your PB!
      Originally posted by felixR View Post
      Congrats Pete! Amazing drive.
      Thanks all!
      1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Alignment Check with Raceline Motorsport - 12/06/2017.

The cars steering wheel felt slightly off since before the track day as the steering was pointing slightly towards the right and the car would pull to the left slightly.

I had tried to get the alignment rechecked before the EXE double day but I did not have the time to do so, the car drove pretty well so I didn't worry about it and soldiered on.

Today Ray from Raceline was kind enough to make the time to check my cars alignment to confirm if I was crazy or not. Turns out I was not crazy.

According to the alignment specs the front left axle toed out by a massive 4mm and front right axle toed in by 4mm. The alignment was done recently, so we checked the subframe bolts.

It turns out the subframe bolts were loose which allowed the subframe to shift towards the left side of the car, causing the alignment to go off. Considering the alignment was originally 1.5 toe out on each side, I would guess that the subframe had shifted about 3-4mm towards the passenger side.

The rears subframe bolts were also loose, but not as bad as the front. The alignment toed out at the rear of the car which is totally not desirable for a RWD car wanting more rear end stability.

Spoon Rigid Collars

With this in mind, I had decided to not get the alignment done but wait until I install the Spoon Rigid collars that I had purchased a while back. I never bothered to put them in as I thought it was quite gimmicky. Turns out these are useful for keeping the subframe and alignment in place.

The rigid collars is placed between the subframe and the chassis of the car to stop the subframe from going out of alignment overtime as this is apparently a common thing for S2000's.

If the car had gotten the 1:33 PB with the alignment out of place like this, I am confident the car has more time left to be shaven off once the alignment has been dialled in properly.

I am now keen to return to Winton to try better the time.

Comment

18/06/2017 Rigid Collar Install + Alignment @ Raceline Motorsport

Installed the Spoon rigid collars on the S2000 today, big thanks to Ray @ Raceline for allowing me to install these on the hoist, I can imagine doing this on the floor at home can be a major pain. As it was even fiddly on the hoist.

Once the rigid collars were installed, Ray aligned the car and the results shown as below.

The car drives better than before with a nice and straight alignment, the car is now ready for another track outing, not sure when this would be though.

The rigid collars has not made any noticeable impact on driving feel as the internet would suggest, but it is nice to know that the subframe is aligned to the chassis and that there should not be any free play from the subframe and bolts.

Comment

Spoon Sports Engine/Transmission Mounts.

After complaining about shifting issues from the last track day at Winton, I purchased a set of Spoon Engine/Transmission mounts from Perfect-run.co.jp.

The reasons why I went with the Spoon kit:

- As it is still a street car I wanted to retain decent levels of comfort. This ruled billet mounts such as Hasport/Innovative out.

- It came with a transmission mount replacement, after inspecting the OEM underneath the car I felt the need to replace it as it was quite bent.

- OEM fitment.

The kit comes with two replacement engine mounts, transmission mount + two transmission bushings.

The OEM engine mounts are liquefied internally, the Spoon is a solid bushing. The spoon transmission mount has been reinforced by welding a plate on the mount for extra rigidity, it also comes with two transmission bushes which are also stiffer than the OEM counterpart.

I started with the transmission mount.

Here is a comparison between the OEM (top) and Spoon (bottom). The OEM is quite bent from coming off at Winton, Winton has unforgiving ripple strips as you can see.

Next up was the driver side mount. As soon as the driver side mount was removed, the mount fell apart in two pieces and leaked all of its fluid on the floor. This mount was basically not even functional.

Lastly, the passenger side mount. This mount was not as bad as the drivers side, but it was hanging on by a thread.

Review of Spoon Engine mounts.

After driving it on the street I am really happy with the product.
            Rev matching is a lot easier, the engine feels more responsive and the gear shifts feel very solid and precise. Oddly enough the front end seems more responsive when cornering, maybe because the engine isn’t rocking all over the place? Not sure but overall the car feels excellent right now.
            The cabin noise and vibrations has increased a little but this should go away as the bushings settle in over time.

Comment

Nice Pete. Lately I've been thinking of moving away from the billet style of Mount to the Spoon ones. Good to hear that they still offer some benefits but keep the car comfortable still.

Comment

Nice spoon.

Your trans mount really copped it at Winton. Those ripple strips are severe.

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
                  Nice Pete. Lately I've been thinking of moving away from the billet style of Mount to the Spoon ones. Good to hear that they still offer some benefits but keep the car comfortable still.
                  Cheers Todd, I highly recommend them!

Originally posted by RC_dc2 View Post
                  Nice spoon.

Your trans mount really copped it at Winton. Those ripple strips are severe.
                  Haha, indeed. I would not recommend launching off those ripples.

30/07/2017 – Nugget Nationals Winton Track day.

New for the car coming into this day was the Spoon rigid collars and the Spoon Engine/Transmission mounts.

The new mounts felt great, I was able to shift into gear without any issues.

The Rigid collars hasn’t made much of a difference to be honest in terms of driving feel, although it is nice to know that the subframe is aligned.

Although the car felt great coming into this day, my driving wasn’t up to scratch.

1:52.2310 1:44.4120 1:43.1960 1:37.6950 1:36.1020 1:37.6050 *:**.**** 1:53.9670 1:38.8890 1:38.0190 8:41.3370 1:41.9790 1:35.4220 1:36.1210 1:38.7190 1:42.8600 *:**.**** 1:48.3810 1:37.2740 1:35.9260 1:35.1540 1:38.1560 1:35.3460 *:**.**** 1:44.9040 1:37.3450 1:35.7170 1:37.2220 1:36.0190 *:**.**** 1:47.1950 1:40.2200 1:39.3970 1:45.4380 1:39.1680 *:**.**** 1:45.7350 1:39.2030 1:39.9190 1:39.0070
                  1:41.4240 1:43.5690 1:38.2260

Best time of the day was 1:35.1540, very far off the 1:33.7 PB.

Photo Courtesy of Steur Imagery.

As my I wasn’t feeling it in terms of my driving and I’m quite content with the 1:33 from the last track day, I decided to go out most of the day with no worries about chasing lap times, removed the Voltex Wing and put the top down, this was some of the most fun I’ve had on the track!

The car was a different animal, the rear end was very playful and wanted to rotate often. Which made the car more of a handful to drive, although more fun!

Pictures below, courtesy of J.Chuc. New favourite photo of the car. I definitely prefer the looks of the S2000 without the giant rear Voltex wing.

On track video in full fun spec mode.

For now, Winton will be low in the priority list of tracks to go to. 1:33 has been the ultimate goal for this car and I don’t see myself pushing car to go much faster in its current configuration here.

Next, I’ll try hit up Phillip Island or even perhaps SMSP/Eastern Creek by the end of the year!

Thanks to the EXE/Nugget Nationals crew for organising the day!

Comment

nice
                    your helmet looks to be higher than the stock roll hoops
                    you should get a higher roll bar or a lower seat rail

Comment

That picture is a great one! Looking like a cool cat out there!!
                      Baskerville Raceway, Tas PB 1:07.84 [Nankang AR1]

Comment

Originally posted by l__i__l View Post
                        nice
                        your helmet looks to be higher than the stock roll hoops
                        you should get a higher roll bar or a lower seat rail
                        Thanks. A roll bar was in consideration.

Originally posted by chaumeh
                        Worthy of a re post! Looking great Pete
                        Thanks mate!

Originally posted by toocivic View Post
                        That picture is a great one! Looking like a cool cat out there!!
                        Cheers!

Comment

After so long, Melbourne finally gave us some decent weather. So I gave the car a good clean and wax after many months of not doing so.

I have not driven the car since the last track day from a few weeks ago, so I was removing some parts and wheels for street use and gave them a nice clean.

While I was at it I removed the Spoon N1 and installed the OEM exhaust back on. Driving on the street with a quiet exhaust is quite pleasant.

After a few hours of cleaning the car came up decent, it was nice to see the paint is still in relatively good condition, albeit a few stone chips here and there.

Last edited by eskimo_firefighter; 20-08-17, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Beautiful! A true dual purpose s2k.
                            https://www.instagram.com/s2_Samm/

Comment

Looking good Pete!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Such an inspiring build; Great pics, great steering, great write ups
                                Cheers for putting in the work there.

Love that it seems to have two modes, street-car and track-car!

Keep us updated!
                                Baskerville Raceway, Tas PB 1:07.84 [Nankang AR1]

Comment

Working...
                                X