Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

originally linked the wrong vid in the update
    PB lap is now in there.
    Heres the video i originally linked. Slightly slower but cleaner lap from earlier on in the day

Comment

And that kids is why you do spanner checks before/after trackdays!

After the last SMSP day i noticed i had a little clunk noise coming from the rear over uneven surfaces and when turning. Immediately thought the worst that the semis had killed my diff or that the suspension noise issue i had previously had come back but worse this time around. Turns out it was neither of them but it could've been much much worse!
      With the help of a friend who suggested it might be a toe arm bolt that had come loose i checked them first and there was some play in the rear wheel so i inspected further and what i found was scary! The driver side nut had worked loose and backed off and was only being held on by the split pin!
      When i was installing the arms i spoke to Tom at Honed and we set the arms up which was best for the S2000 based on his data collected on Petes kit. This meant i had to take one of the top spacers off and place it on the bottom to get the arm to the ideal settings. The spacer i took off the top usually would've spaced the castle nut up to the split pin hole but because there wasn't enough spacers provided i now had no spacer up top so the castle nut sat below the pin hole which allowed it to back off a fair amount. Lucky for split pins though! That's why they were invented haha
      When i checked the passenger side the nut was still down tight but somehow the split pin had worked loose and was gone altogether??? Lucky it wasn't that side that the nut had come loose! Honestly no idea how that even happens.

Simple tighten and re did the split pins and everything is all good again now. Still a gap between the castle nut and the split pin so may look into putting some washers or a spacer in there. In the mean time ill just recheck every track day rather than every couple.

Another thing i noticed on my check was that my voltex front bar was quite floppy. Upon inspection the rear mounts that hold the under tray to the radiator support had snapped. One had clean snapped off so the bar wasn't attached on that side and the other had cracked 90% of the way through and was just dangling there. The mounts had always been quite flimsy as its just bend alloy strips so it wasn't the best material to use. I guess a couple years of knocks and stress finally took their toll.

Instead of remaking a similar style mount from alloy i decided to make something a lot stronger this time. I grabbed a bunch of plastic spacers and some nuts/bolts from work and came up with a design that is a lot better. Instead of an alloy bracket attaching to the rad support in one spot i machined up a steel plate to slide into the rad support opening and rest on the metal there. Once the bolt is passed through the plate and the spacers it pulls the plate down against the rad support and pulls the under tray up making the front bar pretty much solid now. Previously there was lots of movement in the bar which probably affected its effectiveness but that wont be an issue now.

Steel plate i made

And how the under tray is spaced (imagine a bolt through the middle of them).

With that all fixed the car has just been sitting getting dusty while i wait for a Wakefield day to come up that i can get to and test out these A050

Comment

As everyone knows weight reduction has been a big part of this car/build. To date I've taken 100+ kg out of the car while still retaining a full interior and not going too crazy with the grinder.
        Well now that the S2000 is no longer my only vehicle/fast becoming a track only car i decided over the last week it was finally time to move to the next stage of the* weight loss diet in a push to maybe reach a 150kg loss.

For those who haven't followed, this is the current run down of the weight loss.

1. removed stock ignition cover
        = -310g

2. removed bonnet prop
        = -390g

3. removed under hood insulation mat
        = -650g

4. replaced stock intake with js racing intake
        stock intake = 3.3kg
        js racing intake = 2.3kg

= -1kg

5. modified stock header
        stock with heat shields = 11.3kg
        stock with heat shields removed = 9.3kg
        stock with tabs removed = 8.4
        stock heat wrapped = 9kg

= -2.3kg

6. replaced stock cat with TP
        stock cat = 5.3kg
        stock cat with heat shields removed = 3.9kg
        invidia 70mm TP = 1.7kg

= -3.6kg

7. replaced stock exhaust with titanium single
        stock exhaust (catback) = 23kg
        byp 70mm single titanium exhaust (catback) = 4.2kg

= -18.8kg

8. removed air pump assembly
        = -3.8kg

9. removed A/C system
        = -12.5kg

10. removed horn assembly
        = -185g

11. removed window/headlight washer system
        washer bottle and motors = 1.51kg
        washer bottle capacity = 5L/5kg
        associated tubing = 390g
        headlight washer pieces = 200g

= -7.1kg

12. replaced stock sized battery with lightweight race battery
        stock size battery = 12.1kg
        lightweight battery = 7.1kg

= -5kg

13. replaced stock steering wheel with momo/quick release and hub
        stock steering wheel = 2.8kg
        momo+QR+hub = 1.8kg

= -1kg

14. replaced driver side seat with bride zeta 3 type L fixed back
        stock seat + rail = 15.3kg
        bride zeta 3 typle L + rail = 11.3kg

= -4kg

15. remove passenger side seat (track day only)
        = -15.3kg

16. removed sun visors
        = -480g

17. removed wind stopper
        = -480g

18. removed padding/insulation/sound deadening under carpet
        = -4.2kg

19. replaced soft top strikers with RSG race brackets
        Stock soft top strikers/catchers = 1.3kg
        RSG race brackets = 225g

= -1.1kg

20. stripped boot area
        spare tyre = 11kg
        tool kit and log book = 3kg
        rear trim pieces = 2.7kg
        sound deadening = 1kg

= -17.7kg

21. fitted hardtop and removed soft top
        stock AP1 soft top assembly =30.6kg
        forbidden frp hardtop w/ 2 piece rear brackets = 13.8kg

= -16.8kg

22. replaced stock bonnet with carbon vented bonnet
        stock bonnet =7.6kg
        carbon bonnet =7.5kg
        removed factory latch system =495g

= -600g

23. replaced stock mirrors with APR mirrors
        stock mirrors =2.5kg
        APR GT mirrors =770g

= -1.8kg

24. replaced stock AP1 wheels with 17x9 ce28 and added tpms sensors
        stock AP1 rims and RE002 tyres = total 72.2kg
        ce28 with 245 RS3 tyres + tpms = total 69.6kg

= -2.8kg

25. replaced stock lower ball joints with camber offset joints
        stock ball joints = 1.5kg
        hardrace camber joint = 1.2kg

= -300g

total
        =107.2kg (everyday driving)
        =122.5kg (track days)

And that's where the car stands at the moment so that leaves 27.5kg I still need to remove. Now for stage two

I started with some of the easier stuff and removed the cars stereo system and passenger airbag and bracket. The stereo system comprised of the head unit, stock door speakers, ipod and associated cables and came to 2.9kg.
        The air bag and bracket came to 3.5kg so both netted good savings.

As the car only gets driven to/from the track and I rarely have passengers in the car both items weren't high on the priority list anymore.

After removing the head unit I was left with a big gaping hole and even though the radio door covered it when closed it still annoyed me knowing it was there so I picked up an oem delete plate and now it's much nicer.

The airbag removal left a big space under the dash so I was able to move the defi control unit and all the associated wiring up out of the passenger footwell and into where the airbag used to be. Much less cluttered now. And with the dash cover back in place you wouldn't know anything was different.

Removing the airbag set off the SRS light on the dash so a trip to Jaycar and a 50c resistor later and I had that cleared. Recently it has come back so ill have to check that.

With those jobs out of the way it was time to move onto the more serious stuff. Some of you will be familiar with the term 'Swiss cheese'. Basically it refers to cutting holes into parts of the car to reduce weight. Well the S2000 has started receiving the treatment.
        I started on the bootlid in the centre area which is non structural as I still need it to support my wing. However future plans for that mean that the bootlid will probably meet with the angle grinder/hole saw again at some stage.

Then I focused my attention on the front of the car and started on the cars front bumper supports.

I got them finished at work the other night and still have the headlight and main bumper support still to. Once done the front of the car will look similar to the ASM car. (go to the third pic)

http://www.gotuning.com/product_info...oducts_id=1679

Once the front bumper is put back on you don't see any of this and the car still looks 'normal' which is what I've always wanted as I didn't want that stripped out shell of a car look going on hence my commitment to keep full interior.

That's where I'm up to currently. This technique is a long and slow process that doesn't really see much results. I think at this stage I'm up to about 600g of weight cut out but hey every little bit helps. Like I've said I still have the other support bars to do as well as the doors of the car so I think maybe 1-1.5kg is possible with this technique.

Over the next couple weeks I should be doing a few more jobs so there will be more weight updates soon hopefully.
        Last edited by Toddxxx; 01-06-17, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Mmm...motivating me to start Swiss-cheesing my Integra too!

Comment

Love the brake ducts

Comment

Originally posted by Apu View Post
              Mmm...motivating me to start Swiss-cheesing my Integra too!
              such a long/time intensive exercise! but hey every little bit helps at this stage

Originally posted by Alex_Walker View Post
              Love the brake ducts
              They do look great! Very functional too

Comment

okay so as we know photobucket is dead. there's no way im going back through and reuploading every pic so sorry if you read this thread but im not fixing all the old images
                i just got tapatalk though so i will upload from now on through there as well as link to my blog i created to allow non forum people to follow the build

www.trackbuilt.wordpress.com

Blog is now up to date pretty much. Last event at wakefield at the WRX interclub supersprint was just uploaded. I keep things way more brief on the blog and really only follow up on the main stuff so ill still ramble on and upload other stuff on here for you guys

Heres my 1:07.7 lap from that track day. This lap placed me 11th out of 66 cars overall. Not bad for a NA honda

Comment

RIP Photobucket.

How does the EK goes with snow chains on the front?
                  1997 Honda Civic EK4
                  Winton - 1:34.94
                  Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
                  Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
                  Wakefield - 1:10.16
                  Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Originally posted by iwearmoccos View Post
                    RIP Photobucket.

How does the EK goes with snow chains on the front?
                    Very sad times
                    I don't know how you were bothered haha

Never put chains on the ek so wouldn't know. We catch the tube up so we don't have to deal with snow/chains/traffic etc

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
                      Very sad times
                      I don't know how you were bothered haha

Never put chains on the ek so wouldn't know. We catch the tube up so we don't have to deal with snow/chains/traffic etc

I didn't go back and update all my photos, as I may have said I would.
                      I did move to Flickr for all future hosting, hoping that lasts forever.

Just googled the skitube, that is epic and so much easier than driving to the summit.
                      I probably need to go to the snow sometime soon.
                      1997 Honda Civic EK4
                      Winton - 1:34.94
                      Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
                      Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
                      Wakefield - 1:10.16
                      Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Some photos from the interclub supersprint track day

Last edited by Toddxxx; 16-08-17, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Since buying the S2000 I have only used Penrite 5W-40 HPR5 oil. I have made sure to check and change my engine oil regularly. In the early days this was done every track day as a precautionary measure to stop engine wear and hopefully avoid a blown motor. I didn't know whether changing it that often was really helping but I kept doing it and the cost and time involved quickly added up.

I pushed the changes back to every second track day which was a little better but I still didn't know what was going on with my engine and whether this was helpful or not so I eventually decided it was probably a good idea to get my oil sampled and tested by the guys at Australian lab services.

The process is a simple one. You order the kit online and they mail it out to you. You then collect a sample of your oil, fill out a info slip and mail it back to them and wait for your results to be emailed. It takes a whole ten minutes so there shouldn't be any excuse not to do this.

I collected my oil sample after the supersprint at Wakefield which was my third track day on the same oil. That was the most track days I had done on the same oil before.

I really didn't know what the results would come back like. My engine had low km but had spent the previous 3.5 years being driven hard on the race track. Having my gauges and logging oil temps and pressures had helped over the years as I had never seen anything that was deemed critical. Oil temps got hot but pressure always stayed good so the oil side seemed fine but still I couldn't just rely on those two pieces of information.

Anyway I got my oil results back 24 hours later and they kind of shocked me. Although the oil had done three hot track days and roughly 800km on the street it came back almost perfect! All the metal levels were well below the caution markers and everything seemed to be in tip top shape. These results proved that changing my oil every track day as a precaution was useless and in the end a waste of time and money. I really should have tested my oil sooner. But at least I know now.

Moving forward I will change the oil and leave it in for five track days this time and get it tested again. I will continue to monitor oil temps and oil pressure and go from there. I may even try a couple different oils and see how they stack up against the Penrite HPR5.

Comment

Recently I upgraded from an iPhone to a Huawei P10 and was finally able to get racechrono on a non burner phone haha (my previous set up was a $19 phone from coles synced with my GPS receiver)
                            Not wanting my new phone to just sit in my centre console and bang around I grabbed a modifry dash bracket in a group buy with some friends.

The bracket is well made and was super easy to install. It supports all makes and models with its jaw like locking system so any phone user can grab one.

Looking forward to testing it out at H Nats in a few weeks.

Comment

Nulon nationals 2017

Nulon oils have been running this series for a couple years now and it's an excellent series so if you ever get the chance to be apart of it I recommend you do it!

The time attack event at SMSP was round 3 for this years series with the other rounds comprising of a hill climb and a motorkhana. I was lucky enough to be put on the prowraps team which meant I got a free track day. No way I could complain about that. They put on a whole event with the track playing host to the time attack, skid pan having motorkhana demos all day, car show and shine and trade stalls etc. The event is free for spectators so if you missed out this year make sure you come along to next year's event.

The field is huge with workshops and Individuals battling it out in different classes. I was in under 3.4L NA class so although my car is relatively quick I had some big competition.
                              I was on the A050 again so my main goal was to beat my previous PB of 1:47.2. I felt pretty confident I'd achieve that as the PB lap wasn't perfect.

The day went well and the car felt great to drive like usual. The groups were pretty packed so I just tried to find space and focus on my lines and braking and put together some clean laps. Once again the diff opening on the tighter corners held me back quite a bit. I was much quicker and pushed harder than I ever have in certain areas but the higher corner speeds just meant that the diff wanted to open a lot more which held me back. Still I was able to get a new PB of 1:46.5 which I was super happy about. I got that early on in the day but wasn't able to beat it as it was quite a hot day and conditions weren't perfect.

The time was good enough to put me 50th out of 102 cars overall and 8th in the under 3.4L NA class. Not a bad result. Combined with my other team members we placed 2nd in the workshop challenge so that was a positive.

And here's some pics of the car.

Last edited by Toddxxx; 16-08-17, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately Nulon nationals wasn't all smooth sailing. At some point during the day my muffler decided to blow the welds around the canister with the centre core now able to rattle and slide around.

There's no affect on performance but coming off the throttle you can hear it rattling around and it's quite annoying.

I looked around for a bit to see if if anyone could fix it but being titanium made it hard and anyone I found who did work with titanium said it wasn't worthwhile sooo new exhaust section was purchased.

Comment

Working...
                                X