Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152
Results 511 to 519 of 519

Thread: Todd's new S2000

  1. #511
    Super User Kingk22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toddxxx View Post
    https://trackbuilt.wordpress.com/201...ring-cleaning/

    New blog update on my recent bits and bobs

    Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
    How did you prep your VC for paint? I'm planning on doing the VC gasket, cam seal and spark plug tube seals in a few weeks when i'm free and i'm thinking of painting the VC at the same time while it's off.

  2. #512
    Super User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingk22 View Post
    How did you prep your VC for paint? I'm planning on doing the VC gasket, cam seal and spark plug tube seals in a few weeks when i'm free and i'm thinking of painting the VC at the same time while it's off.
    First I removed all the grommets and Seals etc and taped up the holes that went into the inside of the valve cover and then stripped all the old paint off. Took a few goes with the brush, tooth brush and scraper to get every last bit.
    Gave it a good high pressure hose wash to clean out everything then let it dry overnight.
    Cleaned it up with wax and grease remover and gave a few spots a little sand with 1200 grit sand paper. Cleaned with wax and grease remover again making sure to get everything.
    Masked up all the surfaces I didn't want painted.
    Used vht wrinkle black and instead of doing the usual 3 thick coats I did 5 lighter ones for a smaller more subtle wrinkle.
    Let it cure in the sun for a couple hours then remove the tape areas and clean them up using nail polish remover and a cotton bud.
    Then I bunged it in the oven for a couple mins each either side.

    Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

  3. #513
    Super User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Some questions:

    1. Did you have to do it with the oven door open?

    2. Did you get busted for using the oven to bake the cover?

    3. Obviously you’re still alive...but how bad are the injuries?

    ...just wanted to know before I try the same

  4. #514
    Super User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apu View Post
    Some questions:

    1. Did you have to do it with the oven door open?

    2. Did you get busted for using the oven to bake the cover?

    3. Obviously you’re still alive...but how bad are the injuries?

    ...just wanted to know before I try the same
    1. You're actually meant to close the oven and bake it for an hour. It didn't fit in my oven so I just grilled it for 5mins each half haha

    2. I did it at my parents place when they weren't home. No trouble that way
    I'm not silly enough to do it in my own place hahaha

    3. Read above

    Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

  5. #515
    EFK24 ChargeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,456

    Default

    Interested to hear your impressions of the RE71R. Internet lore suggests they're even more cheater than the Rival S I'd been using.

  6. #516
    Super User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeR View Post
    Interested to hear your impressions of the RE71R. Internet lore suggests they're even more cheater than the Rival S I'd been using.
    Yeah going by online talk the rival S is the closest competitor to the re71r. It'll be interesting to see where they fall between the rs3 and A050 in terms of lap times. Just going to wait for the new year then head out

    Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

  7. #517
    Super User Kingk22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Is putting it in the oven necessary, even on non-wrinkle-finish paint?

  8. #518
    Super User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingk22 View Post
    Is putting it in the oven necessary, even on non-wrinkle-finish paint?
    You don't 'have' to, but the general consensus is it helps with the wrinkle finish.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toddxxx View Post
    Lmao that poor oven mitt

  9. #519
    Super User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    882

    Default

    Yeah you don't have to do it. The wrinkle still comes through just drying it. I did it on a sunny day and left it in the sun to help it get warm and dry out. The baking in the oven makes the wrinkle more pronounced and because I wanted a subtle finish the non baking method worked well.

    Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •