Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter rebuild and grease
    https://trackbuilt.wordpress.com/201...ld-and-grease/

The theory behind this DIY is that over time the grease on the shifter assembly becomes contaminated, dries out and the plastic parts begin to wear down. The shifter then becomes notchy and sloppy. By replacing a few particular parts along with fresh grease you can get the shifter back to sliding smoothly between gears improving the driving feel.

I’ve had the parts sitting around at home for a while now but haven’t been in a rush to install as my shifter still feels quite good. I have low kms on my S2000 so maybe this contributes to that?

The parts needed are:
    1x change lever ball #54110-S2A-003
    1x reverse lockout spring #54117-S2A-003
    1x plastic collar bushing #54111-S2A-003
    Or
    1x aftermarket metal collar (car garage amis/seeker/renegade etc)

I opted for the car garage amis metal collar as I had read all about the benefits of the metal collar over the oem plastic one and wanted to test out the results. A metal collar is stronger and doesn’t deform over time like the plastic version meaning your shifter feels better for longer.

With some free time over the weekend I decided to finally tackle the job. It’s a very straight forward DIY and took maybe half an hour to complete. I used this thread on s2ki which is really detailed and has some great pictures to go with it.
    http://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-und...er-diy-772277/

So the results. After swapping in the new oem parts and the metal collar along with fresh grease the shifter is a little smoother going between gears. There is a more direct feel and the movement feels more solid so i put this down to the metal collar but given that my grease was pretty dry and the OEM plastic collar was cracked the difference isn’t all that crazy. Much less than what i was expecting anyway. Maybe i just read too many “OMG i did this swap and my shifter is absolutely amazing now!” comments and was expecting too much?

My shifter didn’t crunch previously and still felt nice so maybe that also contributes to the lacklustre results. Maybe if i had’ve waited longer until the shifter became worse the change would be more drastic and I’d be here raving on about how awesome this DIY is too. Knowing what i know now though I’d recommend people refresh their grease and if you want to replace the parts just get new OEM ones. The three OEM pieces total $13AUD whereas the car garage amis collar is $60AUD alone.

I should note that this impression is being done after only driving around the streets a couple times and i haven’t done any spirited driving or track days yet. I’ll come back and edit this next week after i attend Honda Nationals if there is any difference.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally got the bonnet wrapped today! Big thanks to Jeremy at prowraps for fitting me in and once again doing his thing. I even had a go with the vent infills and using the knife to get everything nice and neat.

Car is all set for H nats now. Just have to load it on the trailer next Friday and drive down

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
        Car is all set for H nats now. Just have to load it on the trailer next Friday and drive down
        C'mon! I'm already packed and loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by Apu View Post
          C'mon! I'm already packed and loaded!
          Yeah let's go!
          Shak's S2000

Comment

https://trackbuilt.wordpress.com/201...ationals-2017/

H Nats wrap up done [emoji5]
            PB lap can be viewed here

Last edited by Toddxxx; 07-09-17, 09:00 AM.

Comment

and here i am running out of talent while chasing PBs :P

Comment

The 5050 on the ripple was great!

I do enjoy how fast your car seems to accelerate!

And Winton was resurfaced at the start of 2016, so H Nats 2016 was run on the new surface. It has continually got better since, though it is nowhere near PI grip levels.
                1997 Honda Civic EK4
                Winton - 1:34.94
                Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
                Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
                Wakefield - 1:10.16
                Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Originally posted by iwearmoccos View Post
                  The 5050 on the ripple was great!

I do enjoy how fast your car seems to accelerate!

And Winton was resurfaced at the start of 2016, so H Nats 2016 was run on the new surface. It has continually got better since, though it is nowhere near PI grip levels.
                  My rear underbrace and exhaust disagree haha. A bit banged up now. I really shouldn't have pushed that lap as it was the 4th hot lap of the session and the tyres were already going off. I wanted that 33 though!

I've been talking about that with friends. My straight line traps are insane compared to everyone else. Weight must play a big part I'd assume. Seems everyone is pushing now to lose some more weight haha
                  I'm keen to see what happens once i get the car tuned.

And my mistake. I'll update that!

Comment

Well done and glad you enjoyed H Nationals! Awesome time!

I am now keen to shed some weight off my car after seeing your speed traps.
                    1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
                      Well done and glad you enjoyed H Nationals! Awesome time!

I am now keen to shed some weight off my car after seeing your speed traps.
                      Very well run Peter. You should be proud of yourself!

Hahaha get that car on a diet!

Comment

I've been a bit slack lately on the update front but also haven't been doing much to the car really.
                        Here's the update from my last track day a month ago now

https://trackbuilt.wordpress.com/201...e-last-hurrah/

Wanted to get out a couple more times this year but just been waiting on tyres for 3 months now so can't really do anything till they arrive.

Here's some pics from said track day as well

Comment

Going A050s again? How many days did that set last you?

Comment

Originally posted by Austro View Post
                            Going A050s again? How many days did that set last you?
                            Nah back to street tyres. Got on the pre release order for re71r. The A050 lasted me 5 trackdays (two Wakefield, two smsp and 1 Winton) and the previous owner did three track days on them before selling them I think. They have gone quite well I think. I was expecting like 2 track days before they'd be gone but I guess I'm not 1000hp aero car going for wtac glory

Comment

https://trackbuilt.wordpress.com/201...ring-cleaning/

New blog update on my recent bits and bobs

Comment

Also my RE71R finally turned up yesterday. Thanks to Cameron for bring them in

Comment

Working...
                                X