Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5R - K24 fitment

Hey guys

Seems that fitting a K24 to a DC5R is all the rage at the moment, so thought I would write up a "How to". This thread is all the stuff I used, so obviously you don't need to follow what I did (You can do more or less if you choose). Personally, I feel that the modifications I've done have made for a GREAT base for more modifications, as I've looked after the oiling issues (Which the K24 can have at high RPM), the reving issue (With use of the 50' VTC), and breathing issue (70mm TB, RBC & 3' exhaust).

Below is a list of items you should have to hand before you even consider starting this swap:
    - Honda Integra - DC5 Chassis
    - Honda K24 series engine (Do research of the K24 before you pick the one you are going to use. There are several different series of K24's, and they all differ slightly, as some are used for the Accord Euro, while others are used for the CRV)
    - Hondabond/Permatex ultragrey and 12mm honda bolt for hole in bearing cap #3
    - Longer 10mm bolt for oil pump (only 2 of 4 will work)
    - MTF 3 bottles
    - Coolant
    - Loctite red/blue? for flywheel bolts
    - Spark Plugs
    - Water pump seal - Optional
    - Yellow permanent marker for subframe
    - K-series valve cover gasket
    - K24 Upper radiator hose
    - K24 Thermostat housing hoses
    - K20 Crank Pulley* (smaller pulley) to keep same belt (keep k24 pulley->custom belt)
    - K20 idler pulley*
    - K20 Alternator *
    - K20 Power steering pump *
    - K20 Water pump *
    - K20 Air Conditioning pump *
    NOTE If you swap all the above "*" items over form the K20 to the K24 you can run a K20 serpentine belt, which makes the entire process easier. Obviously if you remove anything (eg A/C) you need to find a new belt.
    - K20 Mid-shaft
    - K20 Starter Motor
    - K20 fuel rail/Injectors
    - K20 Lower radiator hose (trim to length)
    - K20 Engine harness
    - K20 Thermostat housing
    - K20 Crank Position (angle) Sensor
    - K20 Oil Pressure Sending Unit
    - K20 Knock Sensor

The above is a fairly basic list of parts that are needed. Obviously there are other parts such as intake, clutch, headers etc, but the above are the little things you need.

Next up you need to go to the following site Spoonertuner.com

And download the following manuals:
    RSX
    RSX 2002-2003 DC5 includes Type-S K20A2 K20A3 USDM

TSX
    TSX 2004 USDM Repair Manual NON-HELMS

If you have access to a printer, print the following pages
    RSX
    - Suspension/driveshafts/swaybar pp885-888, 892-894
    - Engine removal/installation pp100-116
    - Relieve fuel pressure pp397-405
    - Radiator pp235
    - Oil Pan pp194
    - Oil Pump installation pp197-209 pp120
    - Clutch/flywheel pp456-461/170
    - VTC pp131-145 pp120
    - Valve cover pp163-165 pp120
    - Intake manifold and exhaust pp212, 216, 221
    - Water pump, Coolant/thermostat pp229, 230-234
    - Midshaft pp816
    - Power steering/drive belt pp831, pp 73
    - Tie rods pp850, 853, 870, 873
    - Front bumper 1054

TSX
    - ENGINE – 2400cc - K24 VTC - Valve adjustment pp60-106
    - ENGINE LUBRICATION – oil pump removal - pp15-18

Obviously, if you have a laptop, and can shift it around, you won't need to print the above, but having the paper does make it slightly easier.

Following are some posts down on various forums my friends found that are things to look out for (Note: These are from US sites):

- The a/c low press hose wont clear properly the rbc. Even if it does, one hard launch and the manifold will crush the fitting on the hose and you can kiss it goodbye. however, here is a solution:
    http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=645927

- Note! if using k20a3 harness, you will have to re-wire the tps. its very easy to do. if the wires go into the harness like this ----->123, you will rewire it like this ----->321. you simply reverse the outside wires. you may also have to extend the wires.

- Before installing the upper radiator hose, pour coolant directly into the fitting for the upper radiator hose on the engine itself, if you don't do this, the motor WILL overheat.

- If your going from a k20a3 to k24a2 you will have to extend the wires to the iat sensor. This is important, I ****ed this up and got a load of errors from using the wrong cal and couldn't understand why. If you're using a k24a2 from a 04-05 tsx, do yourself a favor, get the latest update of kmanger and click on open, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the cal list, and low and behold, 04-05 tsx stock. load that cal up. go through it real quick, uncheck the following boxes:
    Disable idle valve (idle tab)
    Countershaft driven speed sensor (if you don't uncheck this box you will never hit vtec) (misc tab)

Also check the following in K-Manage:
    - Multiplexer-normal operation (misc tab)
    - Make sure you go into the gear comp tab and select the proper transmission

- If installing a RBC to a K24 the bonnet won't shut properly because one of the vacuum lines hits the bonnet. You have to gently hammer this until it bends enough to shut the bonnet.

- The only sensors you can get mixed up is the map sensor and the tps. The map sensor is connected to another sensor as well and the tps is all by itself.

- When installing the subframe grease up th inside of where the front engine mount is going to go to ease installation. Install axles and rear engine mounts before bolting subframe up all the way.

- If K24 is an auto you will need a pilot bearing 22103-PNA-003 pilot bearing

If you're installing a K20 oil pump (Recommended) you'll need to do the following
    - Take off cam chain first then oil pump.
    - You need a 1.5mm pin for auto tensioner
    - You need a longer 10mm bolt for bottom of oil pump
    - You need hondabond and 12mm bolt to plug oil jet on third bearing cap

There are a HEAP of pictures and detailed comments in my build thread. So have a read through that before, as it'll probably answer anything I've left out here. Otherwise I'm happy to help out where I can.

ENJOY

Robi

PS - I'm not a mechanic, so I accept no responsibility if you try this swap, and anything negative happens. If you aren't confident with working on the mechanics of a car, I wouldn't recommend you try this yourself, and have a professional do it.
    Last edited by tinkerbell; 25-06-12, 02:00 PM. Reason: highlighted the disclaimer

excellent write up mate!
    1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

I've managed to download the Service Manual for Honda Accord from 2001-2007 and also the Honda CRV Service Manual. However i'm trying to back track my steps to find the file. If the moderators have space on this website, we should try to upload it for members to download if need be. I have them currently on my computer.

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
        I've managed to download the Service Manual for Honda Accord from 2001-2007 and also the Honda CRV Service Manual. However i'm trying to back track my steps to find the file. If the moderators have space on this website, we should try to upload it for members to download if need be. I have them currently on my computer.

Norm
        The link I've posted has access to ever Honda manual required.

Comment

this link here: http://spoonertuner.com/manuals
          ... retired/

Comment

Great post! Where's the guide for putting one in a CR-X though, I hear they are all the rage . A couple of changes I would make:

- A K24A3 starter motor works fine, if you happen to get one with the motor
            - A K24A3 knock sensor also works fine
            - A DC5 gearbox only takes 1.7-1.8L
            - Pretty sure you can retain the K24A3 water pump with all the rest of the K20 accessories and belt (A certain MR DC5R driver can confirm this)

Comment

I would run the k20 water pump if I had the choice (and the oil pump to). But that's just me being fussy and paranoid lol.

Where is the "how to reinstall all your removed wiring in a dc2" manual please
              Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
              http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Comment

Can I ask, if i'm using my original k20 head, and having a VTC on the intake cam, will I then still need to purchase a new one?

VTC pp131-145 pp120

Comment

Nope reuse the original VTC gear as its 50 degrees.
                  BYP Racing & Developments
                  Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
                  STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

Originally posted by cartoon View Post
                    I would run the k20 water pump if I had the choice (and the oil pump to).
                    what is your reason?

how are these parts different?
                    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                      Great post! Where's the guide for putting one in a CR-X though, I hear they are all the rage . A couple of changes I would make:

- A K24A3 starter motor works fine, if you happen to get one with the motor
                      - A K24A3 knock sensor also works fine
                      - A DC5 gearbox only takes 1.7-1.8L
                      - Pretty sure you can retain the K24A3 water pump with all the rest of the K20 accessories and belt (A certain MR DC5R driver can confirm this)
                      The guys that helped with this, actually put one into a DC2 recently... so that would help... but I didn't really help with that install

You are right, you can retain the starter motor & knock sensor... only reason they are on the list is because mine didn't come with either! And for some reason I keep thinking that the K20 knock sensor is different to the K24 one (Don't quote me on that... just thinking back to 8 months ago when we did the transplant).

You can retain the K24 water pump, but we swapped them all over for ease. The crank pulley on the K20 & K24 are different sizes, and the accessories aren't actually all in the same location. So just to be on the safe side, everything was swapped over, between the two engines. If you have access to a K20, this is easy enough, if you don't... well yeah, you'll have to retain the OEM K24 stuff.

I would run the k20 water pump if I had the choice (and the oil pump to). But that's just me being fussy and paranoid lol.

Where is the "how to reinstall all your removed wiring in a dc2" manual please
                      There isn't much of a difference between the K20 & K24 water pumps. I only swapped over for the above reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                        what is your reason?

how are these parts different?

K20 water pump includes a coolant port for the oil cooler.
                        K20 oil pump is 1 - lighter + uses an aliminium sump + its makes me feel better cause it came from a motor thats safe to rev hard all day every day with out starving the motor of oil.

There more personal reasons and not requirements.
                        Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
                        http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Comment

there is also alot of 'off the shelf' baffled sumps out there for the k20, not sure of any available for the k24
                          02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

K20 water pump includes a coolant port for the oil cooler.
                            K20 oil pump is 1 - lighter + uses an aliminium sump + its makes me feel better cause it came from a motor thats safe to rev hard all day every day with out starving the motor of oil.

There more personal reasons and not requirements.
                            hmmm, i think they are all valid reasons... (even if partially psychological)
                            ... retired/

Comment

k24a3 has oil cooler.
                              the water pump routes back to oil filter fitting

keep the k24a3 oil pump if for daily driver.
                              you dont need the extra vibration from k20 oil pump.

also keep k24a3 oil pan, if you accidentally hit pot hole
                              the pan will dent in and not shatter. sudden loss of oil is not nice at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X