Bryan's DC2R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apu View Post
    It is...now if I can only get off my ass and RTFM, haha!

I got a second set of wire-pluggy-thingamajiggies so once I get my MX5 wired up, I can just plug it into whichever car I bring to the track!

Think carefully about mounting position though - not quite sure I should have mounted it behind the steering wheel. Whilst I can use the unit as an instrument panel, my ageing (and bespectacled) eyes make it dfficult for me...eyes take a bit to re-focus.
    Can't believe you have 2 track cars! Haha

My eyes are still good, but it'll probably go somewhere just beside the steering wheel, possibly with a custom mount in the dash or something

Comment

Haha! Different life stage my friend! I'll bet I'm one of the older members here.

I'd probably do an A pillar mount on the MX5. Most A pillar trims are easy to replace anyway. Drilling into the dash is not something I am prepared to do.

Comment

what wheel size you running to fit the brake setup?
        sigpic
        128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Hi Karl, I'm running 16" and there's still a slight gap all round.

Comment

Exhaust swap

Took the day off, and went to have a new exhaust fitted. I bought the PLM headers from BYP, and some months ago (under the influence of a lot of flu medication) bought an X-Force twin loop muffler supposedly for a DC2R.

Well, I don't really know because it had been hacked and welded. Anyway boys and girls, don't shop when under the influence of medication. A lot of medication. Not sure if alcohol was involved.

But I digress. I met up with Dann Jolly whom I got to know through the MX5 forum. Started life as a mechanic and since then he's a taught himself to weld and is building a name for himself as an exhaust fabricator.

First step was obviously remove the old DC2R system and fit the PLM headers. Dann that proceeded to mock-up and tack weld 2.5" stainless pipe and a cat for the system.

Interestingly enough when he was pretty much done, I laid his work over the original and it was pretty much bang-on. He also had to add a section to the twin loop muffler as he didn't like how it cleared the rear arm.

Here's a few pics:
            Attached Files

Comment

A few more pics to show why I went to Dann. Most exhaust shops I've seen...well, I have to say their welding looks terrible. Even TIG work.

The first photo here is where Dann welded stainless to mild, on the twin loop muffler. It's what I'd call a dirty well - mild steel, full of carbon, painted...

The second pic shows the quality of his weld, stainless on stainless. The subsequent pics are the completed pipework and the exhaust installed.

Don't ask me about power gains...I was overwhelmed by the noise. And by that I mean it is LOUD! Way too loud for me, so I'll be heading back to have a big mofo hotdog fitted! Other than that, delighted with the quality of work.
              Attached Files

Comment

damn those welds are nice. Havent seen welds that clean. Maybe i need to go to him to do my exhaust
                sigpic

Comment

They are neat aren't they?

There have been a few guys from interstate who've just paid him, got him to do a custom build and ship it to them.

He's up in Newcastle, so this will be a full day. I got there at 9.30am, and didn't finish till after 4pm. He's quite particular, so works very slowly. He's also not doing this commercially - he'll build just about anything, and there's a lot of personal interest in it...I'm getting him to build me a BBQ (you know us Asians...we've got a different type of BBQ, yeah?)

He's a fabricator who happens to like cars and has pretty good tech knowledge which helps, so he takes a lot of pride in his work.

Comment

lol I was impressed you had no hotdog in the middle
                    ClubITR | Like

Comment

What? I can't hear you sonny!

...seriously, that was stupid on my part! Man, the drive home...my ears are still ringing.

Comment

Originally posted by Apu View Post
                        What? I can't hear you sonny!

...seriously, that was stupid on my part! Man, the drive home...my ears are still ringing.
                        Hahaha that thing must sound mad!!!

Comment

I'm going to have to switch to the MX5 until I get this sorted!

Comment

Nice touch mate - BeeBeeBeeBeezzzzz in the ear drum :-)
                            CLEMENTE

Comment

Straight pipe with one muffler = very LOUD!

Get a good resonator if you want to drop the noise levels and muffler (i tend to like the round twin loops).
                              BYP Racing & Developments
                              Built. Tuned. Driven
                              Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

No kidding! I was talking to Felix today and the thing is, when I (previously) took off the stock muffler and started the car it was reasonably quiet...so I figured, "Hey, cat and hotdog only...not bad! So can't be that bad with just a twin loop!"

Of course, my ears were probably still blocked up from the flu.

I parked 7 FLOORS UNDERGROUND today! That drive up is going to be interesting...

Comment

Working...
                                X