Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats your Oil Temp at track conditions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at oil cool's.. Its been mentioned a oil themostat.. Were do you purchase these from.. Is it inline or in the sandwich plate?? Thanks guys
    sigpic
    128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      Looking at oil cool's.. Its been mentioned a oil themostat.. Were do you purchase these from.. Is it inline or in the sandwich plate?? Thanks guys
      Earls make them, among others. You can get in line mounted ones or ones integral to the sandwich plate.

Comment

Good places in sydney to get earls oil cooling kits or similar from??
        sigpic
        128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

none.

buy from USA, i thought you'd just learnt that?

http://www.anplumbing.com/

here is a good list to get you started: http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=2334
          ... retired/

Comment

thankyou.. LOL a slow leaner..
            sigpic

Comment

2 more question's.. Would it be bad to have 2 sandwich plates fitted.. reason non of the thermostat ones have sensor holes.. Also is there a problem with oil pressure drop when adding a oil cooler..
              sigpic

Comment

you don't need a thermostat.

problem of sensor holes solved.

yes, there is a problem with oil pressure drop, that is up to you to decide whether it is worth the risk... e.g do you circuit race? or just adding an oil cooler for 'bling'? do you have baffled sump? do you have upgraded oil pump?

read, then re-read, and re-read again TODA's posts above. there is a lot of information in it that explains many things...
                ... retired/

Comment

Thanks tinkerbell
                  sigpic

Comment

Bumpnation*

Hi all, just wanted to see if some of the S2000 members could post up their oil temps and oil pressures on the track. I am not running an oil temperature/pressure gauge on mine so I am very very curious.
                    1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Adrian's posts here are invaluable. As per tink's post. Read. Re-read, and do it again!

On track conditions Peter, s2000 with spoon or Mugen thermostat/fan switch/Koyo radiator/Penrith ten tenths 10w-40

Water temp never exceed 88-89C
                      Oil temp once I hit 125C my defi alarm sounds and I finish that hot lap and do a cool down lap. I used to get around 3 hot laps before reaching this temp. Ever since using pen rite as above I get 3-4 hot laps!!! Oil pressure varies across the board due. Depending on rpm. I did a few 1 and 2nd gear redlines to get some data on max oil pressure prior to me installing an oil cooler. It was around 680kpa/98psi. I read somewhere maybe in this thread that optimum pressure is 10psi / 1000rpm. Thus my current /stock F20C has 98psi of oil pressure at redline at 9000rpm. I effectively have 8psi excess I can afford to lose with an oil cooler install.
                      Integra Type R
                      Integra Type S
                      S2000

Comment

Thanks for the reply Alex, interesting stuff.

I generally do 2 hot laps then take a chill pill and cruise at 60% of racing speed, rarely have I done 3 consecutive hot laps as the tyres or myself needs to cool down.

Report back to us with oil temperatures and oil pressure post oil cooler installation when you have the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                          Adrian's posts here are invaluable. As per tink's post. Read. Re-read, and do it again!

On track conditions Peter, s2000 with spoon or Mugen thermostat/fan switch/Koyo radiator/Penrith ten tenths 10w-40

Water temp never exceed 88-89C
                          Oil temp once I hit 125C my defi alarm sounds and I finish that hot lap and do a cool down lap. I used to get around 3 hot laps before reaching this temp. Ever since using pen rite as above I get 3-4 hot laps!!! Oil pressure varies across the board due. Depending on rpm. I did a few 1 and 2nd gear redlines to get some data on max oil pressure prior to me installing an oil cooler. It was around 680kpa/98psi. I read somewhere maybe in this thread that optimum pressure is 10psi / 1000rpm. Thus my current /stock F20C has 98psi of oil pressure at redline at 9000rpm. I effectively have 8psi excess I can afford to lose with an oil cooler install.
                          Thought I get some more accurate data, and also data based on my new choice of engine oil; penrite ten tenths 10W-40:

Was on the motorway on the weekend and stopped and hit record on my defi gauges to see the oil pressure from 0rpm to redline in gears 1 and 2. at 9000rpm it did hit 700kpa which translates to 101psi. General rule of thumb for optimum oil pressure is 10psi per 1000rpm, so as long as the car has 90PSI at redline im happy. Thus that means I can affod to lose 11psi with the oil cooler install!

I was going to record this on my phone, but as I hit playback, I forgot to slide the defi controller and ended up overriding my captured data .

For reference/data as well, idle which is around 800rpm my oil pressure is between 190kpa to 200kpa (28psi to 29psi)

One other thing I'd like to point out with the S2000 in start/stop traffic. So gentle city/traffic driving water temp is around 77-78C with the mugen thermostat/fan swithc and koyo radiator. Once you are stopped, the water temp can quickly rise, I was stuck in traffic for 20 min yesterdya and watched it jumped straight to 85 in like 90 seconds. The radiator with fanswitch works icnredibily well. Once it hit around 85, in a manner of say 45 seconds it dropped back below 80 right away!

I think for all track goers, it is vital for monitoring of temps to be done. a radiator works wonders especially since all the cars on this forum is at least 6-7 years old (FN2R being the youngest) and possibly look into an oil cooler!
                          Last edited by plAythiNG; 24-11-15, 06:29 AM.
                          Integra Type R
                          Integra Type S
                          S2000

Comment

Oil cooler
                            Koyo Radiator
                            Baffled sump
                            Temp gauges

The most important things for track goers!

Good info btw Alex!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yes agreeed brother!

regarding the baffled sump also. I have a moroso weld in (that reminds me to update my buld thread lol )

I noticed one thing that was weird but isnt any trouble at all, once I installed my weld-in baffle plate I have the utmost minor drop in oil pressure at idle!

So on my defi gauges I have a warning to let me know when oil pressure drops below or equal to 190kpa (28psi)

Prior to installation of the baffle plate, oil pressure at idle always sat at 200kpa, but depending on the incline/decline of where I was idling, the oil pressure was reading at 190kpa and thus setting off the alarm. Noticed this was the case after the baffle install. It is incredibily minor though, around 1 PSI so not phased, but thought I just leave that here as an after comment RE the baffle!
                              Integra Type R
                              Integra Type S
                              S2000

Comment

Originally posted by Bluscreama View Post
                                Oil cooler
                                Koyo Radiator
                                Baffled sump
                                Temp gauges

The most important things for track goers!

Good info btw Alex!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Kind of agree, although I personally think though for an N/A motor an oil cooler is not necessary for the the casual track day participant. It definitely doesn't hurt to have one though. Feel free to flame me on this one though guys.

Definitely the baffled sump is a necessity for track work, especially for high speed corners with R-compounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X