Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats your Oil Temp at track conditions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TODA AU View Post
    Re optimum temps, IMO
    I prefer 175~185deg F or 80~85deg C average.
    Engine life is longer, oil pressure is better, oil doesn't break down.
    Good head start on catching thermal runaways or increased peak temps when vehicle encounters traffic reducing cooling efficiency,
    so less chance of overheat & therebye head gasket issues etc
    Down side is slightly less output, slightly higher fuel consumption, oil needs to be fuel dilution resistant
    Hense the use of the 300V

That said, the std car runs at 204~206deg F or 96~97deg C
    No issue here as long as it doesn't get away from you on the track.
    Do your homework thermal management wise & the same methods will work at a higher temp.
    The thermostat regulates the operating temp.
    So bigger rad & oil cooler with std thermostat.

Hope that helps,
    Using (HP X 42.4 = BTU/minute)
    BTU = British Thermal Unit
    Im guessing when you do cooling mods to aim for temps around 80-85 deg C, these are for track cars only as street driving the temps will be around 10-15 deg C lower?

I think so far, i'll aim for temp on a stock car around 95 deg C.
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Comment

no idea with the aircon.

With the heater, you wouldn't have the fan on at all lol. fuk could you imagine driving your car around the track with the heater pumping, fans full blast?
      k20A DC2R

Comment

Lol does the heater run with the fans off??? I thought 80 is to low??? What would be the lowest safe temp. And the higher save temp???
        sigpic
        128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

What I do on my cool down lap isthrow the AC on with the heater on max and have window down. Talking to Munkaii about it, he said he tracks with the window down and heater on max all the time. I'll give this a try next time myself.
          Integra Type R
          Integra Type S
          S2000

Comment

what is achieved by putting aircon on??? i no fans are running but you moving forward so that will have no affect.. Also you loss power with air con on!!

So you do put heater and fans on full or what???
            sigpic
            128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

All street cars we raced at the track i tend to turn the heater on full noise. This helps with cooling, if you keep the coolant cooler the oil tends to run cooler.

Air con, i wouldnt bother but it does help as both thermo fans come on which pulls all the hot air from the radiator thus cooling the system down faster. Having the heater on will cool the system down just as quick.

Generally on cool down laps try to keep the pace i.e 70-80% race pace, keep it in high gear i.e 4th or 5th or 6th and cruise around the track. This will cool the oil temps alot quicker then idling. 80% of people on the cool down lap go to slow, which in itself is dangerous for other people on the track and it isn't helping much with cooling.
              BYP Racing & Developments
              Built. Tuned. Driven
              Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                Im guessing when you do cooling mods to aim for temps around 80-85 deg C, these are for track cars only as street driving the temps will be around 10-15 deg C lower?

I think so far, i'll aim for temp on a stock car around 95 deg C.
                No, you want the engine temp to remain fairly consistent once warmed up.
                Whether you're targeting 85deg or 95deg.
                What you don't want is the temps to change dramaicly from cruise to consistent WOT.
                This is where the OEM system falls down with low temp thermostats & fan switches.
                At cruise the temps are lower as the engine isn't applying a heavy thermal load to the cooling system. But at sustained WOT, the system returns to where it was before the thermostat & switch were fitted.
                This can make such cars troublesome to tune.

But the cooling systems btu loss capacity is always for the worst case scenario.
                Max output at sustained WOT.
                If you can keep a lid on the temps here, everything else is easy.
                TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
                TODA Racing - TODA Power - FIGHTEX
                Official Australian Distributors
                Engine Building / Dyno tuning / Licenced Mechanical Workshop

Email: toda@todaracing.com.au

M-Factory - HALTECH - Hondata - EXEDY - WORK - Supertech - Crower

Comment

Oh & I voted 95-100 so I could see the poll results,
                  So disregard that

Comment

Originally posted by TODA AU View Post
                    Oh & I voted 95-100 so I could see the poll results,
                    So disregard that
                    Moved the vote to 80-90
                    ClubITR | Like

Comment

Running a bigger oil cooler can affect oil pressure. The Honda's engine thrive on oil pressure for vtec to work properly. Some people may know this already
                      BYP Racing & Developments
                      Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
                      STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

Originally posted by benson View Post
                        Running a bigger oil cooler can affect oil pressure. The Honda's engine thrive on oil pressure for vtec to work properly. Some people may know this already
                        Further to what Benny has said,
                        Actually running any oil cooler will affect the oil pressure.
                        Good ones ( Earls for example) have a 1psi drop across the core.
                        Poorly made cores are a lot higher so It's not always a good idea to use just any cooler as the resulting drop in pressure could have a net negative effect.
                        Usually track engines have increased oil pressure also.

The other side effect of lower temps is also higher pressure, so a good large cooler is generally a net benefit.
                        For a roadie, an oil thermostat should be used or you can easily go the other way & run too cold on cruise, idle etc & have a hard time warming up.
                        Often if you're set up for racing mid summer, blocking plates may be required in the winter months to keep the temps up.

The trick is to buy a cooler from a manufacture who supplies you with the data you need to effectively size & use the product.
                        Pressure drop @ what viscosity, btu loss ability etc.
                        This helps eliminate unexpected surprises.

Comment

This video is an endurance race between 7 stock cars! The DC5 Type R (JDM pre-facelift) along with the S2K are in this video.
                          Stock brakes, stock brake fluid (for most) stock tyres. Dead stock pretty much!

33c day and the oil temps and water temps were pretty stable! if you have 30mins to spare watch this video very interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBGaqLQBnUM
                          S2000
                          WSID : TBA
                          Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
                          Smooth As Detailing
                          Incar Racing

Comment

Engine: B18C7
                            Odometer (on engine): 250,000 (still going strong!!)
                            Engine Viscosity: 10w-30 (OEM)
                            Aftermarket Radiator: NO
                            Oil Cooler: Yes, Earls 13 row

Daily driving sits on around 85-90deg. Track temps peaks at 140 after 4 laps in which i back off

Comment

How hot is too hot? At which tempreature should we back off? I've always wanted to ask this question

Engine: B18C2
                              Odometer (on engine): 190,000
                              Engine Viscosity: 10w-40 Nylon
                              Aftermarket Radiator: YES
                              Oil Cooler: NO

Daily driving - 90-100deg
                              Track - 125-130deg
                              Mountain - 130deg

Theres so many people out there that don't have a temp gauge and does mountain runs with me, they have no idea how hot their car gets and still push it hard! Then they say hey why did you slow down? lol. Thank god for most of us that have one.
                              Moiz
                              無限 teamgroundzero 無限

Comment

You think these would help?? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TEGIWA-RA...item2a0aa814ef
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X