No announcement yet.

♦ ♦ ChargeR's DC5R Blog ♦ ♦

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what noises does the hub/wheel bearing make when they start to go out?? looking forward to your impressions on the new tyre setup

Comment

Originally posted by stevan View Post
      what noises does the hub/wheel bearing make when they start to go out?? looking forward to your impressions on the new tyre setup
      At the moment it is just making a faint whistle/squeal. One of the last ones I did made more of a grinding noise with clicking at low speed before it died. This one doesn't seem so bad but I am more changing it as a preventative measure, as when I last changed it I only replaced the bearing not the hub. The hub showed some signs of wear so in hindsight I should have replaced it then.

I am keen to see how the tyres go too . It is unfortunate that I need to sacrifice flushness in the pursuit of speed though.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
        At the moment it is just making a faint whistle/squeal. One of the last ones I did made more of a grinding noise with clicking at low speed before it died. This one doesn't seem so bad but I am more changing it as a preventative measure, as when I last changed it I only replaced the bearing not the hub. The hub showed some signs of wear so in hindsight I should have replaced it then.

I am keen to see how the tyres go too . It is unfortunate that I need to sacrifice flushness in the pursuit of speed though.
        id sacrifice flushness for precious seconds on the track, stance can be left when gallivanting around the street

oh godammit, thats exactly what my left front sounds like, clicking and grinding at very low speed but is quiet when i speed up

ill pm you as to not spam this quality thread

Comment

So I put a new hub and wheel bearing in the front right of my car this evening after work. Suspect intermittent whistle noise is now gone. I would have taken pics, and took my camera along for just that purpose. But left the battery at home on the charger. The one that charges the batteries. Not me.

I have a couple of small parts to fit so I will take some photos and update the thread over the next week or so. All I really need to get done before the upcoming Winton day is a fluid change and a wheel alignment. I will be maintaining much the same settings as previously because it is such a long time between events for myself and the car I would rather not make multiple changes and then be overwhelmed with the change in character in the car. The only change will be tyre sizes. And wheel colour . Stay tuned.

Originally posted by stevan View Post
          ill pm you as to not spam this quality thread
          Glad you sorted out your issue without spending the money one a new wheel bearing fellow!

Comment

Wheel colour aye, looking forward to it! I was going to change mine for Winton too since I have to fix a gutter rash thanks to my dad but I still haven't thought of a colour yet.

hehe Charger left his battery in the charger

Comment

Track Prep

It has been a long time between posts, but I haven't been sitting idle . I have been slowly getting my car ready for the upcoming track day at Winton being run by the cool kids at EXE. Since I last updated I have completed the following tasks. No pictures though sorry, it was late and I was tired and just wanted to get it done and go home :

Wheel alignment

This was a requirement since I had replaced the front right wheel bearing and hub. Same settings as previously, circa -5 degrees of camber at the front and whatever my ride height nets me at the rear. Zero toe at all four corners. I resisted the temptation to reduce front camber a little to see if braking or corner exit grip improved.

Fluids

Last night I changed the engine oil to some 10W-40 Red Line. I went slightly thicker than my previous change given we are heading into summer. I also put some Red Line MTL in the gearbox. This is the first time I have chosen not to use OEM MTF so I am very interested to see if there is any change in high temperature performance on track. I was having some issues with 4th gear being difficult to engage toward the end of the session, hopefully the potentially better oil will act as a bandaid fix until the inevitable gearbox rebuild.

Brake Lines and Bleed

I also fitted half a set of Mugen Micro-Mesh brake lines. I say half a set because the fronts didn't fit due to the caliper difference between the JDM DC5 and the Australian model, which should have been obvious to me but I decided to gamble anyway. The length of line between the bracket on the strut and the banjo fitting on the caliper was an inch or two too short. Does anyone know if EP3R front lines will fit a DC5R? I have had some US brand brake lines on the car for the last couple of years and they are starting to look a little haggard so I would still like to replace them at some point. The fitment of the US brand lines was not all that great either.

So I fitted the rear Mugen lines, which had perfect fitment. The Mugen lines use brackets that are fixed to the line just as the OEM lines are so that the line stays just where Honda intended, unlike the other lines I am using. I then bled the brakes with some RBF600 and all was well, I will have to wait until Sunday to see if the lines make any difference at all.

New wheel colour

The most exciting thing that I have done this week is prepare one of my sets of wheels in a nice obnoxious track oriented hue:

Thanks to my brother for the painting, the finish is very good for a backyard job and will hopefully hold up to my track abuse . Tyres will be fitted tomorrow and then I am all set to go! Questions, heckling and comments welcome.

Comment

always love the updates Tom!

Let me know how that gearbox fluid goes for trackwork. Im due for gb fluid change, and yeah,. i'll wait for it All the best for the trackday!
                Integra Type R
                Integra Type S
                S2000

Comment

I have that gear box fluid still from when we did it at your place Tom!!! (Shh that was a while ago.. dont judge me :P) If it helps you in any way, i noticed the gears went in a tad easier with the MTL. This could just be experience though as we changed that fluid just before the test n tune and last years EXE-CC track day.

LOVE the wheel colour choice! But i do remember hearing from you a while ago that red cars should not have yellow or gold rims... Maybe it was bronze, i am not so sure. Hehe.

I need a brother who can spray paint. I wanna make my set a little obnoxious!

I thought you had braided lines on your car before?

With the tyres fitted, I'm guessing you will be running the 245/225 combo R6? Keen to see how you go this time round guy, 38s (or better) for sure! See ya Sunday!
                  sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

good to hear it's all coming together mate.

i do say i like the wheel colour choice

Comment

your car is going to look like ronald mcdonald

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                        always love the updates Tom!

Let me know how that gearbox fluid goes for trackwork. Im due for gb fluid change, and yeah,. i'll wait for it All the best for the trackday!
                        Thanks! I will definitely post my impressions of the change of gearbox oil after Sunday, I am not expecting any miracles though.

Originally posted by Didz View Post
                        I have that gear box fluid still from when we did it at your place Tom!!! (Shh that was a while ago.. dont judge me :P) If it helps you in any way, i noticed the gears went in a tad easier with the MTL. This could just be experience though as we changed that fluid just before the test n tune and last years EXE-CC track day.

LOVE the wheel colour choice! But i do remember hearing from you a while ago that red cars should not have yellow or gold rims... Maybe it was bronze, i am not so sure. Hehe.

I need a brother who can spray paint. I wanna make my set a little obnoxious!

I thought you had braided lines on your car before?

With the tyres fitted, I'm guessing you will be running the 245/225 combo R6? Keen to see how you go this time round guy, 38s (or better) for sure! See ya Sunday!
                        Don't feel bad guy I think I have only changed my gearbox oil twice in the last year . I did have braided lines but I just thought they were due for an upgrade and I can't turn down Mugen.

Yes I will be using the 245/225 Hoosiers, getting them fitted tomorrow. I hope the handling of the car is not too much altered though because the 245s are actually barely wider than the 225s when not mounted to a wheel, which is in keeping with what the Hoosier catalogue states (LINK) with there being only a 0.3" difference in section width between the two. We will see anyway, 38s are the goal and it feels achievable.

Originally posted by maracer View Post
                        good to hear it's all coming together mate.

i do say i like the wheel colour choice
                        Thanks Mario! Hope your track prep is coming along well too.

Originally posted by tRipitaka View Post
                        your car is going to look like ronald mcdonald
                        Your face looks like Ronald McDonald .

Comment

^^ lol maccas car

nice update guy!
                          ClubITR | Like

Comment

just thinking?
                            think these rims would look real good on my car

Comment

i wanna pick ur brains at track tom. I wanna know how u get ur rims looking so nice :P I might change up the white/gold combo... maybe black/gold? or just full takata green
                              sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

I was actually thinking of that color for my car at one point.

Should look good!

Comment

Working...
                                X