♦ ♦ ChargeR's DC5R Blog ♦ ♦

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
    i reckon thats the tyre of choice for non R racers...
    I am hoping that they will do the job, my budget doesn't stretch to AD08s or RE11s so the Z1s offer the best balance of price and performance for me. We shall see .

Originally posted by lil_foy View Post
    So im right? tehehehe
    Mega kudos to you if I am, thats gtr territory on a integra LOL.
    Fitment mastah!!
    I can't believe that you guessed it just from looking at the barrel of the wheel . I don't even know if they fit yet and won't be able to test fit for a few days so I will be deeply upset if they don't clear my coilovers . So hold off on the positive comments on the fitment .

Originally posted by Didz View Post
    You your "narrow" wheels are 9.5"

If they are "narrow" then these must be HUGE!
    They aren't the that huge, but they certainly dwarf the narrower wheels I bought for the rear when stacked side by side. More on that later.

Originally posted by fatboyz39 View Post
    Good tyres. 255 wide... from that ill say either 9.5-10' wide rims hehe..

225/50/15 Advan A050 if they become available for the event if not then the A048.
    Your guess is good . Are you having trouble getting the A050? I have seen a number of sets at track days down here in VIC but I am not sure where they got them from.

Comment

Update 14: More wheels

So as mentioned above I have acquired a couple more wheels for use at Superlap. Once I have run them there they will probably graduate to general track use and I will hopefully be using some treaded semi-slick style tyres on them in 255 and 225 in the future. Now my car is a garage queen I grow tired of changing wheels at the track. I want a car that I can just do general maintenance on and it will be ready for me to drive out straight to the track, track all day, then drive straight home and park it and only have to replace consumables like brake pads and fluids.

So on to the wheels. My theory here is that a tyre always performs better on a wider wheel as there is less compliance in the carcass and hence a more consistent contact patch irrespective of tyre construction or tyre pressure. Some light reading both on and offline suggests this may be the case. With this in mind I decided that a 255/40R17 and 225/45R17 tyre configuration would present the best balance of gearing, weight and section width and then went about getting the widest wheels I could find to safely fit them to. So here are the fronts, 17x10 +18 Volk TE37s, weighed them on the kitchen scales at about 8.2 Kg each so they are a little heavier than the Type Cs for example but not enough to bother me.

Last edited by ChargeR; 24-03-10, 09:26 PM.

Comment

OMFGG! hot!!! make sure you put a picture on herer as soon as there's tyres mounted and its sitting on ur garage queen!
        Integra Type R
        Integra Type S
        S2000

Comment

Damn there wide!!.... Please post a pic once you mount them. Gonna look tough.
          BYP Racing & Developments
          Built. Tuned. Driven
          Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

phwoar
            ClubITR | Like

Comment

Looks good guy. I wouldnt approve of TE37 without concave. These will look mint but more importantly, could introduce some pbs. 1:38x? We shall see!
              sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                I can't believe that you guessed it just from looking at the barrel of the wheel . I don't even know if they fit yet and won't be able to test fit for a few days so I will be deeply upset if they don't clear my coilovers . So hold off on the positive comments on the fitment .
                Well jdm dc5r wheels are 17x7 +60
                So 17x10 +18 will have 4mm more clearance then them.

But I do think jdm hubs push out your wheel 20mm but i'm unsure if that is relative to strut clearance aswell.

But you were running 17x9.5 +15 so you'll need 9mm more clearance, how much were the r8's ballooning on the wheel if they were?

Best of luck!!!

If I see you down at superlap I might come say hi.

Comment

are you upgrading/renewing the wheel bearings/wheel studs as part of this modification?
                  ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by lil_foy View Post
                    Well jdm dc5r wheels are 17x7 +60
                    So 17x10 +18 will have 4mm more clearance then them.

But I do think jdm hubs push out your wheel 20mm but i'm unsure if that is relative to strut clearance aswell.

But you were running 17x9.5 +15 so you'll need 9mm more clearance, how much were the r8's ballooning on the wheel if they were?

Best of luck!!!

If I see you down at superlap I might come say hi.
                    Yeah running JDM hub/knuckles would give more strut clearance relative to the AUDM setup I am on but 10" +18 would be nearly unachievable with a fat tyre on the JDM stuff. The reason coilover clearance concerns me is that the Mugen N1 lower brackets have the two bolt holes where they bolt to the knuckle tilted inward in order to get significant negative camber, -4.5 to -5 degrees with no other modifications. This pushes the inside of the wheel very close to the strut so wheels that will clear easily on normal coilovers won't fit nearly so well on the N1s. This is the main reason I run silly low offsets at the front.

I fitted a pair of Mugsee's 17x9.5 +24 RGs with a 255/40 before and they juuust cleared the coilover so with any luck the TE37s will too since they have basically the same inner clearance .

If you see me around at Superlap come and say hi! I am a friendly guy despite the tight black jeans.

Originally posted by Didz View Post
                    Looks good guy. I wouldnt approve of TE37 without concave. These will look mint but more importantly, could introduce some pbs. 1:38x? We shall see!
                    Thanks fellow. No PBs at Winton on these for the moment since they will have street/hardparking tyres on them. I am hopeful that the other changes I will be making will allow for 1:38s, but I could achieve such a time with the car as it was if I drove a little better.

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                    phwoar

Originally posted by fatboyz39 View Post
                    Damn there wide!!.... Please post a pic once you mount them. Gonna look tough.
                    Pics mounted will come as soon as I can but I have to repaint them before I can mount tyres because bronze on red is a big no in my book.

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                    OMFGG! hot!!! make sure you put a picture on herer as soon as there's tyres mounted and its sitting on ur garage queen!
                    Thank you sir. Pics will come as soon as I can.

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                    are you upgrading/renewing the wheel bearings/wheel studs as part of this modification?
                    Both front wheel bearings and one of the front hubs were replaced last year so hopefully they will last for a while longer before disintegrating .

Comment

cool - don't want you on three wheels heading towards turn 2
                      ... retired/

Comment

Yeah running JDM hub/knuckles would give more strut clearance relative to the AUDM setup I am on but 10" +18 would be nearly unachievable with a fat tyre on the JDM stuff. The reason coilover clearance concerns me is that the Mugen N1 lower brackets have the two bolt holes where they bolt to the knuckle tilted inward in order to get significant negative camber, -4.5 to -5 degrees with no other modifications. This pushes the inside of the wheel very close to the strut so wheels that will clear easily on normal coilovers won't fit nearly so well on the N1s. This is the main reason I run silly low offsets at the front.

I fitted a pair of Mugsee's 17x9.5 +24 RGs with a 255/40 before and they juuust cleared the coilover so with any luck the TE37s will too since they have basically the same inner clearance .

If you see me around at Superlap come and say hi! I am a friendly guy despite the tight black jeans.
                        Lets hope so
                        Best of luck!

Pics mounted will come as soon as I can but I have to repaint them before I can mount tyres because bronze on red is a big no in my book.
                        NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
                        Volk bronze is the most amazing colour, test fit them first even without a tyre just to look at the colour pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

daaammmm!!

Comment

Any idea on how the hub is going to hold up guy? I thought you were already concerned when you were running the "narrow" Type Cs. Is it just a case of suck it and see? Ghetto fab laws would dictate that unless the wheel snaps off you're doing OK.

Comment

keen to see how they look on

Comment

the tight black jeans.
                                and black framed glasses? emo look again tom?

can't wait till superlap! where did you mount your fire ex? I asked a few people and they drilled to the floor i dont wanna drill into the chassis
                                '03 Integra DC5 Type R
                                Naturally Aspirated, K20A i-Vtec

Wakefield Park: 1:13.047 w/ street tyres
                                Eastern Creek Int'l Raceway: 1:57.969 w/ street tyres
                                Power: 155Kw with Mugen N1 ECU

Comment

Working...
                                X