♦ ♦ ChargeR's DC5R Blog ♦ ♦

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrTran View Post
    Looks nice tom. I am about to start working on my integra this week. since I am finally home
    Thanks Steve. Glad you made it home safe! Keep us updated on your DB8 .

Comment

Originally posted by DrTran View Post
      Looks nice tom. I am about to start working on my integra this week. since I am finally home
      ohhh keep us updated.
      ek9-->ED civic--> eg--> S2K-->JDM DC2R-->EP3

Comment

Update 11: Winton Test and Tune - 8th of May 2009

Yesterday Didz, TeMp and I went up to Winton for a test and tune to see what times we could lay down. I had two main goals there, one to run on the Advan AD07s I used at Superlap to see whether they worked well on a track I was more familiar with. My second goal was to take my new Hoosiers for a test session to put a heat cycle on them before running a full day on them at the EXE track day in a fortnight. It was also an opportunity to check whether the tyres were going to rub horribly.

Conditions for the day were perfect, sunny and around 20 degrees. As a result there was a very healthy turnout of race cars, with half a dozen Porsche cup cars making the sessions particularly interesting. The first session out I decided to go out on the 255/235 Ad07s that I had driven up on. I hadn't checked my tyre pressures before the drive up and a quick check revealed them to be around 36 front with the rears down near 30 psi. This didn't seem ideal but I was too lazy to put any air in my tyres. The session went well though despite large amounts of traffic. Being passed by the fast Porsches and then being held up by some other street cars made it hard to get a completely clean lap. Results were the session were good though, I managed a 1:44.01 which is the fastest that I have ever gone at Winton on street tyres. On a fresher set of tyres and with less crappy driving I am confident that 43s or 42s wouldn't be out of the question. After this session the AD07s were done though with small chunks coming off them revealing canvas below and I still needed to drive home on them. It was time to move on to my big tyres.

I sat one session out while my car cooled a little and swapped over to my 275/245 Hoosier R6s. I set initial cold pressures to around 32psi at all four corners, which is a bit higher than what I would have previously used with RE55s. However Hoosier claim that the lightweight construction of the R6 rewards slightly higher pressures than a typical radial race tyre. The session went flawlessly with the tyres gripping quite well from the outset, none of the skatey feeling that I was expecting. There was a bit of traffic but I tried to gradually increase my pace until I was approaching the limit of my skill, all the while listening out for noises of rubbing or the tyres hitting where they shouldn't. On the last quick lap of the session I managed a 1:40.13 timed on AiM (Thanks mugsee), nearly 3 seconds quicker than my PB on RE55s. Saying I was pretty pleased would be putting it mildly.

After that lap I was caught up with some traffic and decided to do a bit of a cool down lap and next lap around the chequered flag was waved. After bringing the car off the track a quick inspection of the tyres in the pits revealed that the front left tyre had been rubbing slightly on the bracket/fenderliner where the bumper mounts to the front guard. That will be rectified before the next track day. No other issues, so I can confidently say that 275s work well on stock lightly modded DC5 guards. A quick check with my pressure guage revealed that the tyres had reached around 39-40 psi at all four corners which suggests that they were working okay but not quite fully up to temp.

In conclusion big tyres work. Whether they work better than slightly smaller tyres I don't know and I don't have the money to find out. I will stick with my massive tyres .

1st Session (AD07)
        1:54.76
        1:47.93
        1:46.11
        1:44.17
        1:44.14
        1:46.96
        1:44.01
        1:48.00
        1:56.48
        1:55.98
        1:47.08

2nd Session (R6)

1:58.21
        1:46.03
        1:43.29
        1:41.16
        1:41.64
        1:43.91
        1:48.31
        1:40.80
        1:47.49
        1:46.36
        1:42.91
        1:40.13

A picture of the Ghetto Fab DC5R thanks to Didz (Also in this pic you can see my most recent piece of rice; J's racing tow hooks custom powder coated white):

Comment

Well done guy You'll have to take me for a spin at the EXE track day to show me how its done.
          Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

I touch myself... I want you to know this...
            Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Comment

You're right about those porsches, they were fucking spastics. They overtook you when they saw you, no worries about turning or not :P

Big tyres work
              sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

very nice man, well done
                183.2KW ATW
                BUILT BY DR HONDA
                Tuned by INSIGHT MOTORSPORT

12.44@109.9mph

Comment

Omfg 275

Absolutely Crazy

Comment

Congrats mang!

You must be so happy
                    Vivid Blue Integra Type-S
                    "When I grow up I want camber like TeamMR."
                    sigpic
                    itr_***@hotmail.com says: (10:43:08 PM)
                    send that cock breath back to the land of the stuffed turkeys

Comment

Congrat tall white guy with hammer for the awesome new pb...
                      That prove ur new setup works well and my setup is weak..
                      You need to bring me out on the EXE day and let me experience how its done too.....
                      Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                      1)ブレーキを踏む
                      2)クラッチを切る
                      3)シフトダウンしなから、
                        アクセルをぶかす
                      4)クラッチをつなぐ
                      :blah:
                      インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                      人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Like the rest said awesome job! Especially with the consistency, being in that 1:40 zone a fair few times shows that you are no fluke!

You guys should of seen Tom after that session to the point of how he was walking. You can practically see him seemly skipping along like a high school girl who just had her first crush.

Comment

Well done on your new "PB"
                          It's great to hear all your hard work and effort paid of

Comment

Congrats on the new PB Tom!

I guess your tyres combo is working well for you... Is the R6 a very soft compound? By the looks of it, they looks like slicks with 2 lines running through them..

I recommended running it around 37-38psi hot... i wont go anymore higher
                            BYP Racing & Developments
                            Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
                            STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
                              Well done guy. You'll have to take me for a spin at the EXE track day to show me how its done.
                              Thanks champ. I have confidence that you can beat me easily if your stealthy plans come into fruition .

Originally posted by Q_ball View Post
                              I touch myself... I want you to know this...
                              Me too guy. Me too.

Originally posted by Didz View Post
                              You're right about those porsches, they were fucking spastics. They overtook you when they saw you, no worries about turning or not.

Big tyres work.
                              Indeed they do. Camber helps too.

Originally posted by 03DC5R View Post
                              very nice man, well done
                              Thanks.

Originally posted by Jingers View Post
                              Omfg 275

Absolutely Crazy
                              Not that crazy . Fits like a glove. If I ran 255/40s I could lower my car more though, which would be nice.

Originally posted by daz View Post
                              Congrats mang!

You must be so happy
                              Happy doesn't cover it . I was feeling a lot of pressure to perform before I went out, this wheel/tyre and sump package cost basically 50% of all I have ever spent on mods. If it didn't work okay it was going to be an expensive lesson.

Originally posted by air23box View Post
                              Congrat tall white guy with hammer for the awesome new pb..
                              That prove ur new setup works well and my setup is weak..
                              You need to bring me out on the EXE day and let me experience how its done too.....
                              Thanks Eddyyyyy. I am excited to see how the Mugenbox mobile goes on fresh tyres too .

Originally posted by TeMp View Post
                              Like the rest said awesome job! Especially with the consistency, being in that 1:40 zone a fair few times shows that you are no fluke!

You guys should of seen Tom after that session to the point of how he was walking. You can practically see him seemly skipping along like a high school girl who just had her first crush.
                              Thanks man. I can't wait to get back out on track again with these tyres, 12 laps was not enough.

Originally posted by maracer View Post
                              Well done on your new "PB"
                              It's great to hear all your hard work and effort paid of
                              Thanks mate. It has been a long time coming. It was 10 months ago that I bought these wheels with the intention of using this tyre setup .

Originally posted by benson View Post
                              Congrats on the new PB Tom!

I guess your tyres combo is working well for you... Is the R6 a very soft compound? By the looks of it, they looks like slicks with 2 lines running through them..

I recommended running it around 37-38psi hot... i wont go anymore higher
                              Thanks Benson. R6s are among the softest DOT tyres, not sure how they compare to RE55s (the other semi slick I have used) since R6s are mostly used in the US and RE55s aren't sold there. I don't expect to get as much life out of these as I did my SR2 RE55s.

Thanks for the good advice on the tyre pressures I am thinking I will try them at 38, 36 and 34 psi (hot) at the EXE day to get in the vicinity of what works best.

Comment

One more pic thanks to Didz.

Comment

Working...
                                X