Tinkerbell - eBay oil cooler fitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tinkerbell - eBay oil cooler fitted

Well, I finally have a way to cool the oil in my engine, unlike stock DC2R?s my engine did not even have a coolant to oil heat-exchanger?

Normal suburban road oil temps were around 105-110?C after 20 mins or 60km/h driving? on the freeway, temps went straight to 115?C and depending on ambient, went to 120?C and touched 125?C after prolonged driving at over 110km/h? (meaning I was often relegated to sitting on 100km/h watching other cars flying past me?

On the track, after only 3-5 hard laps, the oil would hit the limit of my dial 280?F and go slightly over this marker? this equates to around 140?C of oil temperature.

So you can see why I was denied any hard core driving until I sorted this problem out, other wise I was risking blowing another engine due to oil issues (and is probably the reason I blew up my old B18C engine).

So, where is my $100 second hand wrecker oil cooler install? Not here. It certainly was not do-able in a reliable and long lasting sense, so it was not worth the cash saved.

So I went with an eBay ?oil cooler kit? and just for fun, I got the oil filter relocation version for a few extra $$$ (actually ? it is not really for fun, as I have wrapped my headers and if I change the oil filter, oil invariably makes it way onto the headers and soaks into the exhaust wrap, so a relocation made much sense).

So here it is:

The core is a 19 row item, with very simple core pleats/fins (I note that expensive brand cores have perforations on the fins, eg Earls, Scheck). It has -10 JIC fittings, two CNC machined alloy take-off plates 4 aluminium JIC-BSP adaptors, 3 lengths of braided rubber hose and the various adaptors for various filter threads?

After test fitting, the only logical way I could install it was if I bought two extra right angle joiners, and would have got cheaper steel items, but had to get Speedflow aluminium items as it was Saturday.

Here is the ?schematic? of the layout:

Here is a close up of the fittings etc:

To fit the core, I used right angel aluminium and eight M5 bolts, all with spring washers and the four chassis nuts were nylock items. You will note a small piece of aluminium was required to be fitted on bottom right corner to protect the rear of the core from part of the A/C condenser.

See here:

I also had to relocate the power steering line oil cooler, simply by remounting it at a 45 degree angle onto the bonnet latch support

The filter relocation was fitted under where the coolant overflow bottle sits, there is a single relay normally mounted to the chassis rail here, which I relocated to near the ABS unit so I could use the bolt hole in the rail to locate the bracket.

As such, I had already remove the air box resonator, which may/may not have interfered with this location of the oil filter.

See here:

I ran the middle sized oil line from the back of the engine block to the filter relocation, and the smallest line from there to the oil filter – using both of the 90 degree Speedflow fittings for this. The longest line was fed around the other side of the engine bay, to the take off plate on the back of the engine.

See here:

Comment

the hardest part was making and fitting the oil cooler core, it just took the most time really, was not actually *hard* to do.

I had to use a 88 Honda Civic coolant overflow bottle, and I had to cut one of the legs of the air box for it to fit, but apart from that, the install was quite straight forward.

Here it is installed, (any comments about the state of my lip will be deleted!)

as far as performance goes, it has been remarkable.

normal driving sees no more than 85-90'C constantly and last night i took the OPH for a test and with extended VTEC operation to Mt White, i saw no more than 210'F on the gauge, with it sitting at around 200'F most of the time = 93-98'C (BTW - my gauge sender is in the sump).

sure it was cold, but such temps were amazing to say the least! i look forwards to seeing how the core is able to cool on a hot race track for extended operation (and whether my coolant system id up to it too...)

Comment

Great DIY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jingers
          last night i took the OPH for a test and with extended VTEC operation to Mt White
          nice choice of words lol
          ClubITR- newcastle

Comment

here we go again.. your lip is fubar tinkerbell

LOL

Comment

worth using an OEM ITR oil cooler on the vtir?
              when do we hit v-attack | www.eightsided.com
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fried
                worth using an OEM ITR oil cooler on the vtir?
                it is worth installing a temproy oil temp gauge to find out!
                ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by 00dc2
                  here we go again.. your lip is fubar tinkerbell

LOL
                  LOL - look for upcoming "respraying front lip DIY"

... retired/

Comment

this sould be comming in very handy picked mine up yesterday.
                    Originally posted by tinkerbell
                    if anyone is under the impression VTEC is in any way bad for your engine - please understand that it is NOT bad for your engine,

maybe your drivers licence, but not your engine...

Comment

Also Tink... did you get any oil pressure drops with the system you got..

Project: Machine myself a heavy gear knob

Comment

he did, then he switched to the k20a filter

Comment

Originally posted by Jingers View Post
                          he did, then he switched to the k20a filter
                          is there a difference b/w the filters?
                          does that mean the k20a filter doesnt flow as well? or better?

and does it fit perfectly?

damn.. learn something new everyday

Comment

Originally posted by BlitZ View Post
                            is there a difference b/w the filters? the K20A2 one is smaller but longer
                            does that mean the k20a filter doesnt flow as well? no or better?
                            no

and does it fit perfectly? yes

damn.. learn something new everyday yes
                            see bold
                            ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                              see bold
                              then how does it increase your oil pressure? or it didnt..

Comment

Working...
                              X